Considering requesting diagnosis at age almost 50

I don't know at this point if I have autism. Friends have suggested I may have. Some of the traits relating to autism seem to fit me whilst others do not. I can relate to difficulties in forming friendships and relationships, to experiences of sensory overload and to anxiety, particularly in social situations. I am less sure when it comes to whether I require routine - although my current situation is that I care for 9 cats, so that my life revolves around their routines. I have mostly been fully employed since 18 years old, though my CV job history is lengthy and does not demonstrate a clear cut career path, really only indicating my tenacity. I don't have a special subject I'm passionate about: my only study is of the cats (who are mostly unrelated to one another) co-operating and resolving their differences as a group.

Parents
  • I’d recommend it. Finding out. Or just sticking around here to see if you feel more empowered to make a self diagnosis. I personally needed the formal  external validation/diagnosis and left it late in life to get it just as you have. But now I know land that helps me a lot with perspective. I wish you well whatever you decide. 

• I’d recommend it. Finding out. Or just sticking around here to see if you feel more empowered to make a self diagnosis. I personally needed the formal  external validation/diagnosis and left it late in life to get it just as you have. But now I know land that helps me a lot with perspective. I wish you well whatever you decide. 

Children