Getting my son to sleep at night time

Hi there I’m Alistair my son was diagnosed with autism a while ago , I’m having many problems with getting son to sleep at night he will just sit on he’s chair and refuse to go into he’s bed or be will just sit on the stairs and refuse , any dads out there having the same problems and have you found anything has worked for you .

many thanks Alistair 

Parents
  • Children always have an innate reason for responding to a thing regardless of it being an attraction or repelled. They're not complex. But one needs to sit with them and help teach them how to express or articulate their thoughts. Help him open up about what he might be experiencing in the moment? 

First kids always need to feel safe. Is there something that's happened in the not too distant past causing him to question matters of safety or see the overwhelming universe and eventual decay as something to be reckoned with? Is he looking for something from you at bedtime or having trouble feeling heard and understood? These things can cause cause internal conflict. And it might be too difficult to think about before bed, but many times an accumulation of the day can set the mind into motion and we cannot just 'turn it off' - this can be unique to Autism, and have a good side but also a difficult side. Second, because everything is experienced with a more impactful intensity, usually the only solution is not just diving in and exploring the problem, but finding solutions and making sure to never shelve it through an indefinite postponement. It's always helpful to tell Autistic children, "I want to help you solve this problem" and set a time and stick to it. While, a problem will never go away, it can certainly wait until the morning, but it needs to at least get out of his head and into yours so he's not fiercely awake problem-solving all night. This is a part of our nature - it will never change. We simply need practical tools to troubleshoot complexities. Our future selves can thrive with good tools as these natural talents are desirable.

• Children always have an innate reason for responding to a thing regardless of it being an attraction or repelled. They're not complex. But one needs to sit with them and help teach them how to express or articulate their thoughts. Help him open up about what he might be experiencing in the moment? 

First kids always need to feel safe. Is there something that's happened in the not too distant past causing him to question matters of safety or see the overwhelming universe and eventual decay as something to be reckoned with? Is he looking for something from you at bedtime or having trouble feeling heard and understood? These things can cause cause internal conflict. And it might be too difficult to think about before bed, but many times an accumulation of the day can set the mind into motion and we cannot just 'turn it off' - this can be unique to Autism, and have a good side but also a difficult side. Second, because everything is experienced with a more impactful intensity, usually the only solution is not just diving in and exploring the problem, but finding solutions and making sure to never shelve it through an indefinite postponement. It's always helpful to tell Autistic children, "I want to help you solve this problem" and set a time and stick to it. While, a problem will never go away, it can certainly wait until the morning, but it needs to at least get out of his head and into yours so he's not fiercely awake problem-solving all night. This is a part of our nature - it will never change. We simply need practical tools to troubleshoot complexities. Our future selves can thrive with good tools as these natural talents are desirable.

Children
No Data