Hello all, my ASD assessment is coming up soon!! What to expect?

Hi everyone, I’ve just found and joined this forum and wish I’d done so earlier to find some people to relate to. 

I applied last May 2022 for an appointment and finally got a date to meet with a psychologist in a couple of weeks’ time, which I’m quite excited about as it may explain many aspects of my life thus far (I’m a 48 year old guy) but concerned about what would happen if they do/don’t give me a diagnosis. 

I’ve been feeling incredibly depressed recently which has led to me going off in search of this diagnosis, and it would be interesting to know how people have felt after receiving their report, whether they have or haven’t been diagnosed. Anger?  Justification?  Relief?  Sadness?   Please let me know as it feels like my life is on hold at the moment. 

TIA

Rich

Parents
  • So I attended the assessment this morning, deciding to go on my own having thought that my family member who’s known me since birth might be surprised by some of the revelations I was going to reveal about bullying, etc. 

An hour or so of me banging on and deviating from the original questions, as you do, then sent out of the room for ten minutes, and it was confirmed on the way back in that not only did I show a diagnosis for autism, but that I should consider going to my GP for antidepressants for anxiety and low mood. 

It was only that the stairs down to the reception area to the exit door of the building was full of people that stopped me from bursting into tears. 48 years of knowing, yet not knowing.  It’s also the first time that I’ve been diagnosed with anything, knowing there’s no cure.

Not sure what to do next.  But I will say that the assessment centre, and all staff were nice and clearly understood that they see people who need help. 

• Maybe a weird word to use given your tears, but congratulations :-) - Yes, there's no 'cure', but you are as you were meant to be. And knowing must be such a relief.

Reply Children
No Data