Hello all, my ASD assessment is coming up soon!! What to expect?

Hi everyone, I’ve just found and joined this forum and wish I’d done so earlier to find some people to relate to. 

I applied last May 2022 for an appointment and finally got a date to meet with a psychologist in a couple of weeks’ time, which I’m quite excited about as it may explain many aspects of my life thus far (I’m a 48 year old guy) but concerned about what would happen if they do/don’t give me a diagnosis. 

I’ve been feeling incredibly depressed recently which has led to me going off in search of this diagnosis, and it would be interesting to know how people have felt after receiving their report, whether they have or haven’t been diagnosed. Anger?  Justification?  Relief?  Sadness?   Please let me know as it feels like my life is on hold at the moment. 

TIA

Rich

Parents
  • I've recently been through it myself, and can confirm all of the emotions you menfioned and then some.  I was so stressed about it that affected my health physically and I took the last 3 days of term off work.

Nothing changes, but everything changes.  It's a relief to finally know, but it takes time to adjust to the realisation that these struggles are not something that are just going to go away if I try hard enough.  That I am disabled, whether by my own shortcomings or by society, and that there will always be gaps between my experience and that of the people around me.

And I looked through my report and immediately fixated on it.  I'm trying to remind myself that bit of paper doesn't define me. 

I am still the same person, and I now have my membership certificate for the autistic club.  But the things that I enjoy and the things that have helped me and the people that support me are all still there too.  And there are so many people out there going through the same things, posting advice online.  

I'm no longer an outsider, I've found my community and my home.

• I've recently been through it myself, and can confirm all of the emotions you menfioned and then some.  I was so stressed about it that affected my health physically and I took the last 3 days of term off work.

Nothing changes, but everything changes.  It's a relief to finally know, but it takes time to adjust to the realisation that these struggles are not something that are just going to go away if I try hard enough.  That I am disabled, whether by my own shortcomings or by society, and that there will always be gaps between my experience and that of the people around me.

And I looked through my report and immediately fixated on it.  I'm trying to remind myself that bit of paper doesn't define me. 

I am still the same person, and I now have my membership certificate for the autistic club.  But the things that I enjoy and the things that have helped me and the people that support me are all still there too.  And there are so many people out there going through the same things, posting advice online.  

I'm no longer an outsider, I've found my community and my home.

Children
No Data