Hello

Ok. Where to start here. We've just had a formal diagnosis today that our son Ethan is autistic. We were expecting it as he's non verbal but it's still hit us a little emotionally. 

We've come on here to try and find out "what happens next" and how we can help Ethan. Neither of us have experienced autism in our families before so have no previous knowledge to draw on.  Speech and Language are involved but are there resources he/we can access to try and progress this? 

And any nappy training tips for someone that doesn't find being wet (or worse) would be greatly appreciated.

We're Doncaster based. We're just trying to get our son the best start we can give him. 

Parents
  • A lot will depend on age ie if diagnosed early is lot easier than being diagnosed late..so let's say early is a walk in the park compared to late is like a climb up a mountain in terms of what you'll have to face as a family. If before age of say 12 or even 14 maybe later depends but its all about there adaptability and openess to trying things. Ie its good to try to set in place tools to help your child navigate what will later be a struggle for them. If you can and if early enough on I strongly recommend some kind of psychiatrist or psychologist or whatever is closest to his particular needs and pit the extra time and effort in as it will help your child tennfold in later life. My son diagnosed too late never got help etc and now has too many troubles too mention and it's a sad tale tbh...but if I could turn clock back and he'd have been diagnosed in infancy I would've been on it pronto. By the way don't get any kind of help that encourages "masking" ie you want more flexibilities in the tools they will learn ie developing confidence in that is great to be them and be different etc and explain about aspbergers let them get to know and understand themselves etc etc.There are a lot of group organised events where kids with aspbergers can be together ie it must be nice to be with people you can relate to instead of feeling like the odd one out. Also you will know doubt over time yourself through one source or another find information about aspbergers and learn as when you love your children there is no barrier to what you can do to try make life better for them. You have access to you tube which is real people talking as you do here..sources like that are good in broadening your understanding. Also it sounds daft but improving your own relationship with your son is good as you will be the first port of call for everything..ie learn the subtleties of how your child is ie if they happy sad which isn't always obvious ie as once you have met one person with autism you have met one person with autism.Take the extra time to be with your child and listen etc go that extra mile.

• A lot will depend on age ie if diagnosed early is lot easier than being diagnosed late..so let's say early is a walk in the park compared to late is like a climb up a mountain in terms of what you'll have to face as a family. If before age of say 12 or even 14 maybe later depends but its all about there adaptability and openess to trying things. Ie its good to try to set in place tools to help your child navigate what will later be a struggle for them. If you can and if early enough on I strongly recommend some kind of psychiatrist or psychologist or whatever is closest to his particular needs and pit the extra time and effort in as it will help your child tennfold in later life. My son diagnosed too late never got help etc and now has too many troubles too mention and it's a sad tale tbh...but if I could turn clock back and he'd have been diagnosed in infancy I would've been on it pronto. By the way don't get any kind of help that encourages "masking" ie you want more flexibilities in the tools they will learn ie developing confidence in that is great to be them and be different etc and explain about aspbergers let them get to know and understand themselves etc etc.There are a lot of group organised events where kids with aspbergers can be together ie it must be nice to be with people you can relate to instead of feeling like the odd one out. Also you will know doubt over time yourself through one source or another find information about aspbergers and learn as when you love your children there is no barrier to what you can do to try make life better for them. You have access to you tube which is real people talking as you do here..sources like that are good in broadening your understanding. Also it sounds daft but improving your own relationship with your son is good as you will be the first port of call for everything..ie learn the subtleties of how your child is ie if they happy sad which isn't always obvious ie as once you have met one person with autism you have met one person with autism.Take the extra time to be with your child and listen etc go that extra mile.

Children
No Data