New diagnosis, adult autism

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with ASC as I have struggled for as long as I can remember with just being me. I don’t know what I’m doing to be honest, I just thought joining might help me in some way, I have been told several times to apply for pip, and finally got the outcome back this week, zero points, has anyone any advice please? Or even just to say what I have said here is ok? Thank you 

Parents
  • Hi

You're in the right places to learn about yourself, but support from outside is a fiction, to get PIP you must be entirely unable to fend for yourself. If you had a time when you did manage that you will get refusal

• I get high rate PIP because of my disabilities and while I won't say this is true, PIP is something you should only expect to get if your disability severely impacts your life.  The issue I can see with disabilities like ASD, ADHD or any mental health condition is that you can argue: why do you need money?  For me it was about going private for diagnoses, medication, therapy, and various other social aspects.

I think people applying should ask themselves why they need the money and what they are going to spend it on.  Physical disabilities may require equipment and treatments not provided publicly, but many people with ASD may not need to make these big payments to cater to their disability on a regular basis.  

• I agree. I thought that's what I said - you can get it when you need it for good reasons.

I have never applied for PIP myself. I don't need it, I can fend for myself without help. Though once I was close to becoming homeless, and odds were I would starve to death before that. But I made it.

In my case support is a fiction because I would need help with getting a job and that will never happen.

• Yes, I totally agree that this is an area that should be looked into.  With so many charities you would assume that there would be more awareness and as a result more help, but the only extends as far as under 18s usually.

I'm in South East Wales, people here are very lucky because the adult Autism service has a huge amount of funding and provides therapies that are beneficial to people like me, who have extreme social difficulties but not Autism, but they are only available for people with Autism.  Even with this level of support, many companies are still so behind in there treatment of Autistic and Neurodiverse people.  I think they must assume that people grow out of it before they get a job!

There are also many companies and organisations that consider ASD to be a plus point in hiring, such as the Civil Service.  It's about looking in the right place, but it's unfortunate that many of these jobs require higher qualifications.  So, don't even get me started on the lack of Autism support in schools.  It's like they want all disabled people to fail in life.

• Yes, I totally agree that this is an area that should be looked into.  With so many charities you would assume that there would be more awareness and as a result more help, but the only extends as far as under 18s usually.

I'm in South East Wales, people here are very lucky because the adult Autism service has a huge amount of funding and provides therapies that are beneficial to people like me, who have extreme social difficulties but not Autism, but they are only available for people with Autism.  Even with this level of support, many companies are still so behind in there treatment of Autistic and Neurodiverse people.  I think they must assume that people grow out of it before they get a job!

There are also many companies and organisations that consider ASD to be a plus point in hiring, such as the Civil Service.  It's about looking in the right place, but it's unfortunate that many of these jobs require higher qualifications.  So, don't even get me started on the lack of Autism support in schools.  It's like they want all disabled people to fail in life.

Children
No Data