AS and marriage communication

Hi My name is Steven,

I have been recently diagnosed with high functioning autism. 

I joined the group partly to find out tips and strategies for improving communication in marriage, and also I want to give my wife some hope for the future. I am hoping to discover that there are successful AS-NT relationships out there.

All tips, solutions, strategies welcome.

Thanks. 

Parents
  • Keep talking even when it gets hard.

Put things in writing if you can't get your words out.  That also helps me figure out my feelings. 

Have patience.  Understand that there are barriers to communication and that's not anyone's fault, but it may take some effort to work around.

I don't know if my partner counts as NT because she's trans, but she's not autistic like me.  We make it work- better than some other NT relationships as far as I can tell.  Autism means you get honesty, not game playing.

• Keep talking even when it gets hard.

Put things in writing if you can't get your words out.  That also helps me figure out my feelings. 

Have patience.  Understand that there are barriers to communication and that's not anyone's fault, but it may take some effort to work around.

I don't know if my partner counts as NT because she's trans, but she's not autistic like me.  We make it work- better than some other NT relationships as far as I can tell.  Autism means you get honesty, not game playing.

Children
No Data