AS and marriage communication

Hi My name is Steven,

I have been recently diagnosed with high functioning autism. 

I joined the group partly to find out tips and strategies for improving communication in marriage, and also I want to give my wife some hope for the future. I am hoping to discover that there are successful AS-NT relationships out there.

All tips, solutions, strategies welcome.

Thanks. 

Parents
  • Oh there are successful NT-ND relationships of all sorts.  My lovely boss was perfect.  We both kind of got that we contrast and complement each other's strength and weaknesses.  Both my best friends are NT and we communicate loads.

Our communication styles do differ markedly though and leave room for misunderstanding aplenty.  I guess the key is to both learn about how the other communicates as in depth as you can.  That way you'll both be aware when and how something might not have got through and perhaps agree a strategy for when that doesn't work.  Say, if either of you think the other hasn't understood, you'll try writing a note.  Or you'll both try to cultivate a habit of checking your understanding, say frequently asking: "So, have I understood correctly that what you mean is....?"  

• Oh there are successful NT-ND relationships of all sorts.  My lovely boss was perfect.  We both kind of got that we contrast and complement each other's strength and weaknesses.  Both my best friends are NT and we communicate loads.

Our communication styles do differ markedly though and leave room for misunderstanding aplenty.  I guess the key is to both learn about how the other communicates as in depth as you can.  That way you'll both be aware when and how something might not have got through and perhaps agree a strategy for when that doesn't work.  Say, if either of you think the other hasn't understood, you'll try writing a note.  Or you'll both try to cultivate a habit of checking your understanding, say frequently asking: "So, have I understood correctly that what you mean is....?"  

Children
No Data