Hello, my name is ...

Hello all, I just wanted to say I'm here, feeling alone and confused (and if possible, guilty too)

I am a 35yr old married mum of 1 wonderful miricle little boy and am struggling to come to terms that one of my worst fears is coming to light, I suspect I have been ignoring the signs for some time but now have to face the possiblity that we have another issue and that is ASD, Aspergers or ADHD. I say another issue since my son also was born with a heart problem and currently benign CF (there is a chance it could develope into active as he gets older).

There isn't a day goes by that I'm not greatful to be his mum but I already feel guilty for passing him the burden of CF and regardless I will feel guilty for whatever the outcome of his diagnosis now.

I just feel so alone. Is there anyone else out there like us? 

Parents
  • Hi - my son is autistic but hasn't got CF.  We all wonder about things + some of us feel guilty.  Whilst understandable I think you know logically that there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.  Parents worry and wonder about all sorts.  Family genetics, difficult pregnancy and/or labour, stress, poor maternity care,  something else.  There are discussions on these posts around these issues.  All understandable - people looking for answers or to rule things out.  There are lots of people on the forums who feel or have felt like you so I'm sure they'll come along to reply.  A lot of it comes down to adjusting - not an easy thing to do.  It takes time + we do it in our own way.  I'm not sure we all completely(?) adjust, but maybe we adjust enough over time.  You can't hurry these things.  I felt better for learning about autism (info via the home pg) + how it affected my son as an individual.  By doing that I cd help him because I understood him better.  As his mother, you are the most important person in his world + can do a great deal to help him.  Take satisfaction from that as there's a lot of satisfaction to be had.  Also, please, try not to punish yourself, you are a good mum.

• Hi - my son is autistic but hasn't got CF.  We all wonder about things + some of us feel guilty.  Whilst understandable I think you know logically that there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.  Parents worry and wonder about all sorts.  Family genetics, difficult pregnancy and/or labour, stress, poor maternity care,  something else.  There are discussions on these posts around these issues.  All understandable - people looking for answers or to rule things out.  There are lots of people on the forums who feel or have felt like you so I'm sure they'll come along to reply.  A lot of it comes down to adjusting - not an easy thing to do.  It takes time + we do it in our own way.  I'm not sure we all completely(?) adjust, but maybe we adjust enough over time.  You can't hurry these things.  I felt better for learning about autism (info via the home pg) + how it affected my son as an individual.  By doing that I cd help him because I understood him better.  As his mother, you are the most important person in his world + can do a great deal to help him.  Take satisfaction from that as there's a lot of satisfaction to be had.  Also, please, try not to punish yourself, you are a good mum.

Children
No Data