Autism in men that us undiagnosed

I have been learning alot about autism and the traits but it's hard to tell someone you love that they have traits of autism, how do you deal with someone who thinks they are not autistic? Do I carry on treating them that they are and how do I get help for this?

Parents
  • As others have said - good two way communication is important in any relationship and it becomes vital when there are issues like this - even though that can be really difficult and I suspect there are a few people on here that wished people close to them had said something.

There are plenty of online resources and tests your partner could access to see if anything resonates with them but ultimately no-one is obliged to get diagnosed and there are people who resist getting diagnosed or who deny their diagnosis.

Many people come to forums like this with problems but I would also suggest you try and find some positives in this - hopefully there are some things about your partner's personality that might be affected by autism that you love that you can discuss alongside the things you're struggling with.

FWIW/IMHO - any neurotypical person putting work in to a relationship with a neurodiverse person deserves a little extra helping of respect!

• As others have said - good two way communication is important in any relationship and it becomes vital when there are issues like this - even though that can be really difficult and I suspect there are a few people on here that wished people close to them had said something.

There are plenty of online resources and tests your partner could access to see if anything resonates with them but ultimately no-one is obliged to get diagnosed and there are people who resist getting diagnosed or who deny their diagnosis.

Many people come to forums like this with problems but I would also suggest you try and find some positives in this - hopefully there are some things about your partner's personality that might be affected by autism that you love that you can discuss alongside the things you're struggling with.

FWIW/IMHO - any neurotypical person putting work in to a relationship with a neurodiverse person deserves a little extra helping of respect!

Children
No Data