Autism in men that us undiagnosed

I have been learning alot about autism and the traits but it's hard to tell someone you love that they have traits of autism, how do you deal with someone who thinks they are not autistic? Do I carry on treating them that they are and how do I get help for this?

Parents
  • You say he thinks he isn't. Have you broached the subject at all?

If not, I think Roy's suggestion is a good one. I've seen that program too. It's very good. You never know, the penny might just drop for him and then he might take the initiative.

If you are mentioning it for the first time, it's important that it comes with an attitude of acceptance; hey we're all a bit different and it's just that when you understand those things life gets easier.

That said, this isn't an experience I've had because I figured it out for myself. But whatever happens, all you can do is suggest the possibility and let him mull it over. Some people prefer not to explore the possibility even thought they suspect they might be. And that's ok. In the end, it's about how they feel. You are simply flagging up he has that option, if he feels it would help him. He might be grateful you did or he might ignore it.

• You say he thinks he isn't. Have you broached the subject at all?

If not, I think Roy's suggestion is a good one. I've seen that program too. It's very good. You never know, the penny might just drop for him and then he might take the initiative.

If you are mentioning it for the first time, it's important that it comes with an attitude of acceptance; hey we're all a bit different and it's just that when you understand those things life gets easier.

That said, this isn't an experience I've had because I figured it out for myself. But whatever happens, all you can do is suggest the possibility and let him mull it over. Some people prefer not to explore the possibility even thought they suspect they might be. And that's ok. In the end, it's about how they feel. You are simply flagging up he has that option, if he feels it would help him. He might be grateful you did or he might ignore it.

Children
No Data