Hello all.

I'm new, thought I'd just say hello to you all.

I'm still awaiting an official autism diagnosis, I'm on the NHS waiting list for an assessment, but there's a 3 year waiting list, I'm on it. 

I've only recently looked for an diagnosis, now I'm 54. Yet I didn't really consider myself to be autistic until fairly recently, as everyone's normal is different. I don't think an official diagnosis would be life changing for me, but it would be nice to put that final piece of jigsaw in place. 

It's only been over these last few days that I've actually spoken openly about it. It's just something I've carried with me all of my life, hidden it within the best way that i can, as no doubt a lot of us try to do.

After browsing a few posts on here, It's certainly helped and I can see a collation between myself & others on here. 

Parents
  • Welcome

I waited over 4 years for diagnosis since GP referral. I moved house just before Covid started, and my surgery deregistered me because I was no longer in their area without telling me about it. I couldn't get to the doctor for over a year to check a progress of my referral. Not until they reoponed walk-in surgeries. To my suprise I was no longer on a list, they've told me they thought I was no longer interested. LOL So I had to go from the beginning and get a new referral from my GP. Bloody bureaucracts working for NHS. They shouldn't be hiring anybody without making them take Hippocrates Oath, otherwise they don't care about patients

• Welcome

I waited over 4 years for diagnosis since GP referral. I moved house just before Covid started, and my surgery deregistered me because I was no longer in their area without telling me about it. I couldn't get to the doctor for over a year to check a progress of my referral. Not until they reoponed walk-in surgeries. To my suprise I was no longer on a list, they've told me they thought I was no longer interested. LOL So I had to go from the beginning and get a new referral from my GP. Bloody bureaucracts working for NHS. They shouldn't be hiring anybody without making them take Hippocrates Oath, otherwise they don't care about patients

Children
  • Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, yes I'm going to be in for a long wait, too. I've seen a G.P, mental health nurse then referred me for an NHS assessment, that's the long wait, but at least I'm not within the system. I don't think it'll be life changing, even if I'm diagnosed with autism, but at least I'll then know for sure. As no doubt most autistic people have their own coping strategies, no doubt. I'm grateful to have been place on the waiting list, even though it's a long one. As we are probably low priority now, no doubt.