Looking to chat to parents with verbal children

Good evening, 

my name is Amy and my son Archie is 8 years old and has been diagnosed with autism last week. He is verbal but suffers from melt downs easily and can become violet towards others and in particular children if he loses at things and takes things very personal. He has super low self esteem. Is there anyone who is in a similar situation that could shed some light as we are still very much not sure on what to expect regarding doctors and school. We have an appointment with school next week and we have just received our report today so will be going to see our doctors Monday. 
thanks guys

Parents
  • Self-control seems like a difficult skill to acquire. My son (11 now) is still struggling to find his own strategies to master this and feels guilty when he doesn't which causes a drop in self-esteem.. Patience! He lately turns his lack of self-control sometimes against himself like biting his own finger or slaming his own face with his hands. I try to teach him to be more indulgent with himself (he needs to remove guilt before he can deal with reasoning) and try to recognize when he needs a break before he reaches meltdown stage but he has problems feeling internal signs of overload before it is too late. He is however slowly improving each year...    

• Self-control seems like a difficult skill to acquire. My son (11 now) is still struggling to find his own strategies to master this and feels guilty when he doesn't which causes a drop in self-esteem.. Patience! He lately turns his lack of self-control sometimes against himself like biting his own finger or slaming his own face with his hands. I try to teach him to be more indulgent with himself (he needs to remove guilt before he can deal with reasoning) and try to recognize when he needs a break before he reaches meltdown stage but he has problems feeling internal signs of overload before it is too late. He is however slowly improving each year...    

Children