Looking to chat to parents with verbal children

Good evening, 

my name is Amy and my son Archie is 8 years old and has been diagnosed with autism last week. He is verbal but suffers from melt downs easily and can become violet towards others and in particular children if he loses at things and takes things very personal. He has super low self esteem. Is there anyone who is in a similar situation that could shed some light as we are still very much not sure on what to expect regarding doctors and school. We have an appointment with school next week and we have just received our report today so will be going to see our doctors Monday. 
thanks guys

Parents
  • My son was diagnosed with Autism on Tuesday.  He is almost the same.except he is confident but has anxiety.  He is sensory in his ears and mouth.  He is wonderful at school where they do not believe him to be autistic.  When he comes home he has massive melt downs which ends in physical attacks on his siblings.

The consultant spoke to him and said being angry is OK, but being aggressive isn't.  He needed to find a safe place to calm down.  He chose the garden and his room.

He goes to TKD which the consultant said was good for him to learn to channel his aggression and was really pleased that he had a kick pad at home so he could hit that instead of his siblings.

It is really hard because he loves to shout and scream at me and hits and bites and kicks.  It's like something his switched in his head.  He can be lovely and calm one minute and then a ball of rage the next.

I could really do with some help and advice as well because I sometimes wonder what I am doing wrong for him to feel this anger.

He loves fidget things and I've made a box full of them and ordered a £20 box from the Internet.  He also made a feelings jar at school and he will shake that and the object is to watch the glitter settle as he calms.  It's just a jam jar with coloured water and glitter.  It's sealed so it can't be opened.  He also has a feelings fan which he shows us how he is feeling if he is too far gone to tell us.

My son could also have Pathological Demand Avoidance which is where they avoid doing what they are being told.  Since I've changed how I speak to him, it's been better and the consultant has agreed.  There's loads online about that.

• Thankyou for getting back to me, I’m trying to read up as much as I can to understand autism as we was so sure he had ADHD so to hear he had autism was abit of a shock. Have you been what level of autism your your son has? I will definitely make some things with him so he can hopefully tell us how he’s feeling. 

• Thankyou for getting back to me, I’m trying to read up as much as I can to understand autism as we was so sure he had ADHD so to hear he had autism was abit of a shock. Have you been what level of autism your your son has? I will definitely make some things with him so he can hopefully tell us how he’s feeling. 

Children
No Data