Looking to find people like me to talk to

Hi,

My name is Mand and my son is awaiting an autism assessment and my daughter is being observed at school. As a result of learning about autism, I've realised I am on the spectrum too. Although it's nice to realise why i'm the way I am and that I'm not just weird, it's also quite daunting. 

I've managed to mask my whole life.

• Other than my 2 kids, it would be nice to chat to other autistic people who might be in a similar situation to me.

Thanks

Parents
  • Congratulations for figuring out your own reality.....and don't forget to feel thankful that it was your kids that gave you the heads-up.

I've also masked for 50+ years and was only recently identified as ASD.  Extreme burnout gave me the heads-up!

Daunting is a good word for how it feels when you realise who you are - having never before understood (except normative words like 'weird'.)' 

There are some really good people in these forums with a lot of wisdom.  I feel at home here - hope you will find comfort and guidance too.

• Thanks so much. I'm glad you've finally got an understanding as to why you feel the way you do. Learning and researching about my children gave me my understanding about myself so I am thankful for that. Everyone seems lovely, I feel so much better and happier meeting people similar to myself. X

• Thanks so much. I'm glad you've finally got an understanding as to why you feel the way you do. Learning and researching about my children gave me my understanding about myself so I am thankful for that. Everyone seems lovely, I feel so much better and happier meeting people similar to myself. X

Children
No Data