I'm 30 female waiting for autism assessment

Hi,

I'm 30 female British Indian waiting for autism assessment on NHS, long waits. Also waiting for counselling and talking therapy. Thinking of going private because the wait n the NHS is annoying me. I am highly sensitive and believe I have asperger's (high level functioning autism). I struggle to enjoy life, no friends, not close to family as most of them ignore me and don't accept the real me. I hate the cultural pressures to conform and the stigma around autism and mental health in my family. I hate the pressures of having to mask all the time just to please everyone else and blend in. I am thinking of quitting me job but not sure what to do with my life. I need answers and a diagnosis asap before things get worse. My dad might also have autism but he's in denial and they all reacted negatively when I tried telling them I think I have autism. I might have to cut ties with them soo and run away. I'm scared and anxious about my future life. I'm not sure I can have a happy life.

Sharon

Parents
  • I'm sorry to hear this.  I couldn't afford private autism assessment, but I've had private therapy and I'd recommend considering it if it's a financial option, as therapy on the NHS has a long waiting list and then usually a fixed end-point.

In terms of your future life, don't give up hope.  A happier life is possible, but it might take a while to get there.  Take one day at a time.

• I'm sorry to hear this.  I couldn't afford private autism assessment, but I've had private therapy and I'd recommend considering it if it's a financial option, as therapy on the NHS has a long waiting list and then usually a fixed end-point.

In terms of your future life, don't give up hope.  A happier life is possible, but it might take a while to get there.  Take one day at a time.

Children
No Data