New but "Old" and Confused

So, I'm a new member so I figured that I should introduce myself.

I was diagnosed ASD (Asperger's) two years ago, just a couple of weeks before my 50th birthday.  In some ways it has been a relief to finally understand some of my past behaviours and issues - the ones that made me feel anxious but appeared to others as just being awkward.  Some of the lifetime's worth of guilt lifted, I understand why I like being alone, get obsessed with topics, have to read up on subjects just so that I *know*...

Covid has been amazing for me.  Social distancing was something I had been practicing for my entire life.  Work From Home... bring it on.  Anxiety levels plummeted.  yet now, everyone is expecting normal again - although WFH is still happening for 4 days per week.

However, there's a flip and it's partly why I'm here.  Who am I? Really, who?  My entire identity feels like it's been stripped away.  I no longer know how I'm supposed to act etc (although I also understand that's not really a question).  I'm not shy about telling people I'm autistic - I work in the NHS so it's easy to be open in that sense. But my neuro-divergent brain needs to understand how neuro-divergent people are supposed to behave... I now worry that I'm coming across as playing on it, justifying bad behaviour or attitude as my autism when in reality it's not and perhaps others still think I'm taking the piss or something...

So anyway, "Hi" to anyone who reads this.

PS Yeah, oversharing and overanalysing. I know ;)

Parents
  • Hi there,

Yes, I agree sounds like imposter syndrome. Purple Ella on youtube does a good vid on this that might help.

And the answer to how to behave, is well, however you are comfortable. Being diagnosed does enable us to identify our mask and decide when we want to accomodate to the NT world and when we want to insist it accomodate to us.

And who are you? - Exactly who you've always been. A diagnosis just gives us a little Rosetta stone to explain that to others.

And yes, WFH is a blessed relief for me too. Additionally, it helps manage my IBS and spares me the sensory distress of the commute.

• Oh yes, the IBS too.  I'm eating things now that I wouldn't have considered two years ago.

Reply Children
No Data