Hello & Intro

Hi all.

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong section previously, so you might have seen this before Slight smile

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi and I am planning on using this to interact a little and read the viewpoints of other like minded individuals.

I do not have a formal diagnosis yet, but I was assessed last week (at 37 years old), so I am waiting on the results of that. I think it will be a relief to receive a confirmation of what I believe is ASD; and to provide some reassurance that i'm not just awkward and 'unusual' for no reason.

As with a lot of others I have got pretty good at masking it, but having discovered the forum today it will be nice to be able to interact with others like myself and I have already read several posts that have answered some questions I have had as I await my assessment result.

I probably won't be the most active with posts, but I will be reading them all and it will be nice to 'meet' some of you. I don't think I've ever posted on a forum before but this one seems important to me.

I am planning on doing a post about my journey to getting an assessment as I think that's where a lot of the questions lie and it may be useful to someone. I live in the North West of England, so it might be useful to somebody wondering about the wait times etc in specific areas.

Thanks for reading and I hope you are all having a good day.

D

• Hi Lee.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get around to it, but I have done a post on the adults section of the forum detailing my journey through the process. I hope you have made some progress and if you are still interested in reading it you can go and check it out.

Kind regards

• Hello Dino,

I'm diagnosed now but feel I'm still on my journey of discovery and development.

I feel it's something that will live as long as I do.

Lots of challenges keep coming which can be hard.

I hope you find the community a good place to be.

Enjoy :) 

• I get that for me masking was self defense due to seeing how people treated other Autistics at school I knew I was at least similar as the only people I ever made freinds with were at least autistic or ADHD. I didn't get assed until I was 25 I'm 29 good luck with the assessment. I waited about 5 years for mine but that was during the pandemic which slowed the process IM ASD too ADHD and Dyspraxic. 

• Hi Lucy.

Thank you for the kind sentiments. I am still waiting for a result of my assessment, but fingers crossed it won't be too long now.

R

• Hi Lee.

Mine was an NHS appointment, but I was starting to look into the private route, however, I found that a few psychologists I contacted weren't taking on any new assessments at the time. Luckily my NHS one came through and I didn't have to go any further with the private ones, but it does seem like nobody wants anything to do with asd assessments. I will start on my post this weekend; i am still waiting for the team to contact one of my parents to discuss some childhood behaviours ao I haven't really moved on in the last couple of weeks.

Good to 'meet' you and I hope you make some progress soon.

R

• Hello Dino,

I too was diagnosed at age 37 and have been on a journey of discovery ever since. I hope you feel at home here in the community. I hope all goes well with your assessment. 

• Hi Dino, I would live to hear details. I am in a similar position in my 40s and  also in the North West. On a waiting list, but have now just had approval via work health assurance to have private diagnosis.

Am now trying to action that, which is providing its own unexpected  challenges! I thought that would be easy with funding in place...silly me!

• Hello Dino, nice to meet you and welcome to the family.

I think it's a good idea to write about your journey. I'm diagnosed but I'm sure it will be a big help to others who aren't yet.

Enjoy!

• As well as possible. 

• Hi Desmond.

Thank you for the welcome and hope you are well.

D

• Hi Steve, it's a pleasure to 'meet' you. Like you, I was caught in the tail end of the restrictions, which added some delay as I was referred in April 2021 and as I said my assessment was last week. To be honest, it wasn't as long as I expected it to be. The only thing now is, I feel more anxious than ever about everything, as I wait for my result.

I have been trying to embrace my differences a little more over the last few months, and I don't let it bother me too much. I'm glad to hear that you were satisfied with your diagnosis and have been able to spend more time doing what you enjoy.

D

• Hello Dino, I'm new to this forum as well, but unlike you I'm very bad at masking my Autism, in fact I'm useless at it. But since my diagnosis last year don't beat myself up over it anymore. 

My GP referred me for an assessment mid 2019, but then Covid hit and it wasn't until October 2021 when I finally had the assessment at 53 years old. The diagnosis felt like an enormous relief and now embrace my 'weirdness'. But that 'weirdness' always felt natural to me but others including my family didn't agree with that.

Now I spend even more time studying musical instruments and it's all good.

Bye

Steve