Walking away

It has just struck me how tough education. Is for many autistic people, and what a huge effort it can be sometimes just to keep going into institutions that make you feel lonely and isolated. My son isn’t going to college at the moment due to mental health problems. We are in talks (if you can call it that) with the college - but they’re not very sympathetic to my sons struggles. Part of him wants to go back, park of him wants to just walk away and leave it all behind. What he’s walking TO though - we simply have no idea. He doesn’t either.

we don’t know what we’re doing. My son has just had enough - and so have I, 

we’ve had the most awful year and we just want to run away from everything at this moment. We’re both severely struggling - we’re totally  exhausted.  
we don’t know what to do. There’s so little help available. 

Parents
  • I was ok with school, but struggled a lot at university, also with mental health issues. I somehow got my degree, but was very depressed and burnt out for years afterwards. Then I did an MA and it was just as bad! I had some support, particularly with my BA, but it was hard. I suspect this isn't what you want to hear, but know that you and your son are not alone.

• I was ok with school, but struggled a lot at university, also with mental health issues. I somehow got my degree, but was very depressed and burnt out for years afterwards. Then I did an MA and it was just as bad! I had some support, particularly with my BA, but it was hard. I suspect this isn't what you want to hear, but know that you and your son are not alone.

Children
  • Thank you for your reply. I’m really sorry that University was such a struggle for you. My eldest had lots of challenging times at Uni too. So much social stuff at Uni - I think a lot of people feelPrayn undercurrent of loneliness at Uni - even very socially capable sometimes feel that. It does definitely help to know that we are not alone - thank you Pray