Walking away

It has just struck me how tough education. Is for many autistic people, and what a huge effort it can be sometimes just to keep going into institutions that make you feel lonely and isolated. My son isn’t going to college at the moment due to mental health problems. We are in talks (if you can call it that) with the college - but they’re not very sympathetic to my sons struggles. Part of him wants to go back, park of him wants to just walk away and leave it all behind. What he’s walking TO though - we simply have no idea. He doesn’t either.

we don’t know what we’re doing. My son has just had enough - and so have I, 

we’ve had the most awful year and we just want to run away from everything at this moment. We’re both severely struggling - we’re totally  exhausted.  
we don’t know what to do. There’s so little help available. 

Parents
  • I can understand those feelings. School was so hard, didn't have any idea what I was doing or how to cope with the stress. There was no help available at all, went to the teachers and they didn't want to know or help. My mum took me out of school in the end because it was too much for me. I'd really like to do college and go on to better things now but I don't see how I'd cope with it all, like you said there's no support for people. I understand feeling lost, I feel lost all the time don't know which way I'm going or where I'm heading.

• Hi Renee,

I’m sorry you’ve experienced difficulties at school too. There really isn’t enough help. We had the feeling at my son’s school that it was ‘sink or swim’ - and if you needed help it was all a big problem and we had to push so hard to get any help for my son, and when we did get help it was very inadequate. After many years of it we just got so tired and we have ended up feeling quite hopeless. Now my son is an adult there’s still very little help. 

i think your mum did the right thing to take you out of school - I often wonder if I should have done that. However I didn’t have the confidence to think that I could home school my son. 

I’m sorry that you feel lost - that’s how we feel too. My son is supposed to be going back to college in September - but he’s not sure if he can face it. In an ideal world we would pack up all our belongings and move to a new place  a long way from here and have a totally fresh start - however at the moment we can’t do that for practical reasons. We hope to in the future though - as soon as practically possible. We want to leave the past behind and start a new life.

• Hi Kate. There really isn't enough help at school and in general for people with autism I think. I don't go now but my sister's daughter does and she's struggling but can't get any help either. Things really need to change with this. School and learning should be fun, but I never had any fun because I was burnt out and stressed all the time and no one wanted to help. It sounds like it's the same for your son as well. It's so bad. But who can you turn to? My mum and dad tried loads of times to get help, but in the end my mum had had enough and decided she would home school me. Also I think you are hard on yourself, your obviously a really lovely woman and caring mum who would do anything for her son. I think you would have been great at home schooling him :) 

It must be hard for you - and your son - not knowing what to do for the best. Could he contact the college before he goes and explain how he is, see if they can help? I'm assuming this is a new college. I can see why things are feeling so hopeless right now. It's difficult isn't it, wanting to do something but not sure if it's right and if it'll work out for the best. I thought of going to college, I still do but I think it will burn me out and I'll crash and burn. Also feel hopeless a lot of the time.

I really hope things improve for you Kate and that you get your new start for you and your family. You all sound like you need a break to start again. I hope you get this "break"soon :) 

Try to hang on to hope. I know things are hard and suck right now but it won't be forever!

I hope you and your family have a lovely day :) 

• Hi Kate. There really isn't enough help at school and in general for people with autism I think. I don't go now but my sister's daughter does and she's struggling but can't get any help either. Things really need to change with this. School and learning should be fun, but I never had any fun because I was burnt out and stressed all the time and no one wanted to help. It sounds like it's the same for your son as well. It's so bad. But who can you turn to? My mum and dad tried loads of times to get help, but in the end my mum had had enough and decided she would home school me. Also I think you are hard on yourself, your obviously a really lovely woman and caring mum who would do anything for her son. I think you would have been great at home schooling him :) 

It must be hard for you - and your son - not knowing what to do for the best. Could he contact the college before he goes and explain how he is, see if they can help? I'm assuming this is a new college. I can see why things are feeling so hopeless right now. It's difficult isn't it, wanting to do something but not sure if it's right and if it'll work out for the best. I thought of going to college, I still do but I think it will burn me out and I'll crash and burn. Also feel hopeless a lot of the time.

I really hope things improve for you Kate and that you get your new start for you and your family. You all sound like you need a break to start again. I hope you get this "break"soon :) 

Try to hang on to hope. I know things are hard and suck right now but it won't be forever!

I hope you and your family have a lovely day :) 

Children
  • Oh Renee - you are so kind x 

I can tell that you completely understand - and in a way that only those who have experienced this can. 
    I’m sorry to hear that your sister’s daughter is experiencing something similar. Why hasn’t this been addressed? Why aren’t things done to improve the lives of autistic children at school? We all know it’s not acceptable - and yet nothing (or very little) is done to make it better. 

I can understand why you are reluctant to go to college, it can be so intense for autistic people. My son was always so exhausted when he came home - the strain of it took so much out of him. Part of him wants to return, and another part of him feels sure it’s too much for him. We are both very unsure about everything at the moment. It’s all a bit overwhelming. 

It really makes a difference to talk to people on here who understand. Thank you again for you lovely, kind and supportive words. x