Walking away

It has just struck me how tough education. Is for many autistic people, and what a huge effort it can be sometimes just to keep going into institutions that make you feel lonely and isolated. My son isn’t going to college at the moment due to mental health problems. We are in talks (if you can call it that) with the college - but they’re not very sympathetic to my sons struggles. Part of him wants to go back, park of him wants to just walk away and leave it all behind. What he’s walking TO though - we simply have no idea. He doesn’t either.

we don’t know what we’re doing. My son has just had enough - and so have I, 

we’ve had the most awful year and we just want to run away from everything at this moment. We’re both severely struggling - we’re totally  exhausted.  
we don’t know what to do. There’s so little help available. 

Parents
  • Hello, sorry to hear your having difficulties. It’s not easy. I struggled all through school, but did a degree with the Open University which was fantastic. Mostly online. I’ve only recently been diagnosed age 55. It’s a relief but looking back no wonder I struggled. Wishing you and your family all the best.

• Hello, sorry to hear your having difficulties. It’s not easy. I struggled all through school, but did a degree with the Open University which was fantastic. Mostly online. I’ve only recently been diagnosed age 55. It’s a relief but looking back no wonder I struggled. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Children
  • Thank you - I appreciate that. I’m sorry that school was a struggle for you. It makes for a pretty difficult start in life doesn’t it? I’m glad that the Open University enabled you to return to education in a way that was so positive for you. It shows that it’s never too late doesn’t it? 
    I’m glad that things improved for you, and that you have a diagnosis now. I’m half way through the process of assessment/diagnosis - and am a similar age to you.  I wasn’t sure for a long time whether or not to try to get a diagnosis but in the end I felt I needed to explore that. Has having a diagnosis changed things for you in any way?