Mum to Ollie

Hi everyone,

I have just joined this site after recently receiving a positive diagnosis for ASD for our 13 year old son, Oliver.

It has been a really tough few years, we had some feeling that Ollie may have something outside of the mainstream whilst at primary school - low level disruption, not really understanding the impact of his actions on those around him...but things came to a head when he made the transition to high school, which also coincided with Covid and lockdowns.  He started to refuse going to his new high school after 5 weeks, during which we had the most unbelievable meltdowns and breakdowns.

We managed to get him Complementary Education after almost 2 years of fighting for help.  Hypothetically, Ollie should have 2 1.5 hour lessons a week but he rarely makes it downstairs even for these.

Now we have his diagnosis, I am looking for support and help on how we can help him and improve his mental health.  His anxiety is off the charge and he definitely has depression.  CAHMS have been about as much use as a chocolate teapot, they just refer us to Venus who offer councelling, but Oliver hates talking to strangers so this doesn't help him at all.

He hasn't left his room since Christmas, and I wondered if anyone can offer any advice or help on how I can help my beautiful boy. 

Thanks for reading 

Jen x

Parents
  • You know the question of what you can do to improve your sons mental health will be incredibly specific to him. There is no one size fits all approach to autism. You'll need to identify what in his environment is damaging his mental health and what helps bolster it. That's going to be really situation specific but also specific to your sones character, abilities and interests.

• You know the question of what you can do to improve your sons mental health will be incredibly specific to him. There is no one size fits all approach to autism. You'll need to identify what in his environment is damaging his mental health and what helps bolster it. That's going to be really situation specific but also specific to your sones character, abilities and interests.

Children
No Data