Fear of medication

Does anyone else on here freak out if they are prescribed medication by a doctor? I’ve had a couple of bad experiences in the past with side effects from medication and Now I almost have a phobia about any medication and possible side effects. Does anyone else have this? 

Parents
  • Yep! All long term medications worry me. Even the lanszoprolzole for my hernia bothers me.

I absolutely will not accept medication for anxiety, despite heavy pressure to do so further fuelling my fear of doctors. I just wish they'd leave the issue alone. Any side effect, or even the fear of side effects would make my medical fears worse.

Now that I know I'm autistic, I'm pleased I never caved in. Apparently some of those things can either have zero beneficial effect for us, or give us a ton of side effects. Not that I'm psychotic, but one or two of the anti psychotic can even cause autistic catatonia, apparently.

• I so relate to what you’ve written here Dawn. I really struggle in a very similar way. I have wondered in the past if autistic people are more sensitive to medication and have more side effects. One thing I do know is that women often have more side effects - because the dosage of most drugs is designed in a ‘one dose fits all’ way - and women are usually smaller and lighter so the dosages are in essence higher for women. 
    I also have a fear of doctors and hospitals etc.  I spent 16 weeks in hospital when I was a toddler and I wonder if it started with that experience. Either way my anxiety about medical things is now severe. I’m exhausted by all the anxiety I live with on a daily basis, 

• I so relate to what you’ve written here Dawn. I really struggle in a very similar way. I have wondered in the past if autistic people are more sensitive to medication and have more side effects. One thing I do know is that women often have more side effects - because the dosage of most drugs is designed in a ‘one dose fits all’ way - and women are usually smaller and lighter so the dosages are in essence higher for women. 
    I also have a fear of doctors and hospitals etc.  I spent 16 weeks in hospital when I was a toddler and I wonder if it started with that experience. Either way my anxiety about medical things is now severe. I’m exhausted by all the anxiety I live with on a daily basis, 

Children