Hello Everyone! Newly ASD - Nice to meet you all.

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all.

I am Ken - 47, from Leeds, U.K. looking forward to getting to know some of you.

I have just discovered I am ASD - not sure how I am coping with it. 

Parents
  • Hello there,

You are in good company here, as quite a few of us members have been diagnosed or self-diagnosed later in life.

There can be mixed feelings about an ASD diagnosis, irrespective of whether it's been anticipated or come as a complete surprise. You'll soon find that out once you've spent a bit of time here and read some of the posts. Wink

• Hello Sparkle,

Thanks...I appreciate your reply. I am sure all will become clear eventually Relieved

• For me, the diagnosis brought a sense of relief because it hadn't come as a surprise (I'd done some prior research and had traits that seemed to fit). This was followed by panic and a feeling of, "Help! Where do I go from here?"

Just remember that you are still the same person that you were before your diagnosis (this is something I had read on this forum earlier today). Your diagnosis can be a great way of gaining a better understanding of yourself. Relaxed

• For me, the diagnosis brought a sense of relief because it hadn't come as a surprise (I'd done some prior research and had traits that seemed to fit). This was followed by panic and a feeling of, "Help! Where do I go from here?"

Just remember that you are still the same person that you were before your diagnosis (this is something I had read on this forum earlier today). Your diagnosis can be a great way of gaining a better understanding of yourself. Relaxed

Children
  • Thanks Sparkle, Yeah...well, It might sound odd - but I knew from a very early age...I wasn't like all the other kids. I have mild dyslexia too..which I didn't discover until 38. When I realised...It all made sense... up to this point....I am now trying to come to terms with my life not knowing I had autism...and what am I going to do now...with it. Slight smile