How do I tell my 12 year old son that he is autistic?

We have just had an ASD assessment on our son. We have just (today) received the report and as we suspected, he is autistic. Although he knows the assessments were for ASD, he hasn't been asking what the outcome might be. Now we have a definite diagnosis, we want to tell him but we want to do it right and put it across in a positive way.

Is there anybody who can share their experiences please? 

Our son is a sensitive soul and can be quite anxious.

My other concern is that he might share his diagnosis with people at school who will use it to target him. 

Any help or advice is welcomed. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • There are a number of very humorous aspects to our status.

Me and my Daughter exploit them all. Not least is the innocent familial joy of coming up with what should be the most hurtful and insulting terms to describe one another, but in our context is just hilarious. 

In fact I've just invented a new term to try out on her. I shall call her a "neurocryptic *******" and see what she comes back at me with when she next gives me an opportunity.                                                                                                                                                                               

• There are a number of very humorous aspects to our status.

Me and my Daughter exploit them all. Not least is the innocent familial joy of coming up with what should be the most hurtful and insulting terms to describe one another, but in our context is just hilarious. 

In fact I've just invented a new term to try out on her. I shall call her a "neurocryptic *******" and see what she comes back at me with when she next gives me an opportunity.                                                                                                                                                                               

Children
No Data