How do I tell my 12 year old son that he is autistic?

We have just had an ASD assessment on our son. We have just (today) received the report and as we suspected, he is autistic. Although he knows the assessments were for ASD, he hasn't been asking what the outcome might be. Now we have a definite diagnosis, we want to tell him but we want to do it right and put it across in a positive way.

Is there anybody who can share their experiences please? 

Our son is a sensitive soul and can be quite anxious.

My other concern is that he might share his diagnosis with people at school who will use it to target him. 

Any help or advice is welcomed. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago, telling my 13 year old daughter. She handled it a lot better than I expected. 

I started off saying positive things she does like when everything has a place it is very helpful to stay organised. She's really good with technology and maths. She can also notice the tiniest things. I told her a lot of positives then I explained the things she struggled with, communication, social situations, change, sensory. I said that everyone is human and everyone has their own issues and these are the things you struggle with more and that's ok. We can work together to get better at handling them and find ways to cope. 

I hope this helps. Good luck 

• I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago, telling my 13 year old daughter. She handled it a lot better than I expected. 

I started off saying positive things she does like when everything has a place it is very helpful to stay organised. She's really good with technology and maths. She can also notice the tiniest things. I told her a lot of positives then I explained the things she struggled with, communication, social situations, change, sensory. I said that everyone is human and everyone has their own issues and these are the things you struggle with more and that's ok. We can work together to get better at handling them and find ways to cope. 

I hope this helps. Good luck 

Children
No Data