How do I tell my 12 year old son that he is autistic?

We have just had an ASD assessment on our son. We have just (today) received the report and as we suspected, he is autistic. Although he knows the assessments were for ASD, he hasn't been asking what the outcome might be. Now we have a definite diagnosis, we want to tell him but we want to do it right and put it across in a positive way.

Is there anybody who can share their experiences please? 

Our son is a sensitive soul and can be quite anxious.

My other concern is that he might share his diagnosis with people at school who will use it to target him. 

Any help or advice is welcomed. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • Hi there, 

I'm autistic and I am a parent. 

Like your son I am very sensitive and anxious. I wasnt diagnosed until I was 29. I always knew I was different I never fitted in much anywhere but being that I'm female and I was a child of the 90s autism was still very much a boys club and I eventually became very skilled at masking.

If I had have known as a child what I know now I would have spent alot less time blaming myself for things that I now see were never my fault to begin with. Not knowing caused me alot of trauma. I would give your son the knowledge, knowledge is power.

Your son is probably wondering himself what the outcome is. Sitting down with him and as someone said already there are so many awesome autistic role models out there. Like Eminem is another example. Dan from the aspie world on YouTube is another awesome autistic man. 

Its understandable to worry about your son sharing with others and others reactions that's only natural he's your baby. Kids are alot more clued up now on things like mental health and autism and alot more understanding too. I dont know how old your son is but my daughter knows I am autistic and she thinks its great. Kids arw curious you never know you might find if he does chose to share he has some positive experiences also. 

Best of luck to you.

• Hi there, 

I'm autistic and I am a parent. 

Like your son I am very sensitive and anxious. I wasnt diagnosed until I was 29. I always knew I was different I never fitted in much anywhere but being that I'm female and I was a child of the 90s autism was still very much a boys club and I eventually became very skilled at masking.

If I had have known as a child what I know now I would have spent alot less time blaming myself for things that I now see were never my fault to begin with. Not knowing caused me alot of trauma. I would give your son the knowledge, knowledge is power.

Your son is probably wondering himself what the outcome is. Sitting down with him and as someone said already there are so many awesome autistic role models out there. Like Eminem is another example. Dan from the aspie world on YouTube is another awesome autistic man. 

Its understandable to worry about your son sharing with others and others reactions that's only natural he's your baby. Kids are alot more clued up now on things like mental health and autism and alot more understanding too. I dont know how old your son is but my daughter knows I am autistic and she thinks its great. Kids arw curious you never know you might find if he does chose to share he has some positive experiences also. 

Best of luck to you.

Children
No Data