Introduction

Hello, 

I'm new to this community and just recently joined NAS as a member after thinking about doing so for the last few months. 

I am a woman in my late 20s and was diagnosed with autism in my early 20s. I was only referred for a diagnosis after I had developed an eating disorder, anorexia, which greatly impacted my ability to work and live normally.

During childhood I had been referred to many counsellors and therapist's because of a delay in development, selective mutism and my difficulties in making or maintaining friendships. I believe the lack of help in childhood did lead into the 5/6 years I struggled with an ED. It has only been very recently that I managed to get into work and lead a somewhat regular life, though I find myself struggling again (I currently work as a carer/support worker but I feel like that was an awful decision so I've had to quit and look for work elsewhere).

Finding work that suits me has been a challenge and I'm still looking. With the current increase in cost of living it has left me feeling really stressed. I am sure I am not the only person who feels this way.

I hope to gather advice and hopefully provide some advice whilst in this community. From what I have seen there are many discussions on topics that affect me, so I am glad that there is advice and guidance put there.

Parents
  • Hi, I'm also fairly new here.  I also struggle with work, despite doing well academically.  Work depends on so many other skills.  I'm fortunate that I have a job, albeit part-time (I can't cope with more) and not in the sector I am qualified to work in.  The work should be easy for me, given my qualifications, but I still struggle with it much of the time.

• Hi, I'm new here too. I definitely agree with you. Learning a lot of skills is important. It's always going to be tough at first, but it'll all be fine as we get used to it and learn more - Krunker

• Yes, a lot of things are difficult at first but it does get easier over time. It can just feel like taking that first step is so challenging that it feels almost impossible.

Reply Children
No Data