Sons autism

Hello everyone I'm Laura.  My 5 year old child has sensory disorder and has just been diagnosed with autism. Im just wondering where do I go from here? I feel at a loss tbh.  He Is doing well at school but at home it's like he is a totally different person. He hits out at me alot and at his older brother who is 15 they dont get on at all which is very upsetting for me. I want to be able to help son as much as possible so any advice is welcomed. Thank you Blush 

Parents
  • I might focus on sorting his sensory environment at home so he has a space he feels he can decompress in. As has been said here, it could very well be the case he's holding it together at school - but just, and when he gets home lashes out because he feels safe? But only guessing.

Fussy eating could be a matter of health. Our taste buds are connected to our gut and if we're 'hyper-aware' our biology will tell us what we should and shouldn't eat. Many of us suffer from IBS or auto immune disorders. I am allergic to grains, legumes, high fibre veg, but it took years before anyone would listen to me. Back then you ate what you were given, though I opted for not eating at all and it probably saved my life!

As for other senses, one main thing to note is as parents we've had 30+ years to acclimate. Unless we're autistic, then we don't, because our brains aren't wired that way. When we have difficulty Dulling our Senses, this current modern civilisation is unbearable because so much of it is unnatural. 

this is a little list of what I've recommended other parents: 

Textile: 100% natural fibres: wool, cotton, silk or tree based fabric. Polyester is a bi-product of petroleum which is basically plastic. In a fire, it would melt to the skin and turn to plastic. Human skin cannot breathe in polyesters, so instead of keeping us warm, it causes us to sweat and does not allow for the body to regulate temperature properly. It can be hard to find 100%, but some companies have a nano-percent of polys/nylons/elastic.

Cleaning products: Detergents, soaps, countertop sprays and liquids - I buy unscented like EcoverZero or like Dr. Bronner’s, have natural essential oils. You might occasionally use bleach (which you’d use away from kids anyway) and maybe dishwasher tablets which can dry in the dishwasher, blocked from breathing in the scents. Fairy liquid doesn't bother me but we're all different with this. All candles: beeswax or soy (not petroleum based) with pure essential oils - rarely used. No plug-ins or incense.

Bicarbonate of Soda and activated charcoal are some of the best natural elements for removing unwanted smells.

Lightbulbs! Buy mostly energy saving halogen - these are still legal and will be into the unforeseen future.. Note that lamps and fixtures need to be build FOR halogen as LED works on a different electrical set-up and halogen is hotter. (Saving maybe a Salt lamp with an LED because the salt breaks up the light properly). LEDs are fine for safety / occasional use. Get a Light Awareness card for your son: https://lightaware.org  LEDs are proven to damage the retinas in infants, they deplete rare earth minerals and do not have the full spectrum of light like filament based bulbs which mirror the sun. They contain too much UV and no IR. The human eye uses infrared (IR) to see with contrast. For every one halogen on, one might feel they need to keep turning on LEDs sensing they just can't see properly. Because they can't.

Sound: Ensure there’s no ongoing stream of noise/drones around the house. You could buy him ear defenders to help block out noise if it's an issue. The tones which come from small computer speakers can be grating and those sounds alone have made me a bit irate on more than one occasion. Speakers and other items can give off the worst buzz or hum when they're off if the socket is still turned on.  Birdsong, however, is amazing IMO :)

Sensory extends to Emotions, kinetics and environmental - some of us can feel the air pressure. It's the intensity at which we feel these which makes our senses unbearable at times. And coupled with the difficulty with language, and inability to express what we're sensing - compounds the intensity. Hope this helps!

• I might focus on sorting his sensory environment at home so he has a space he feels he can decompress in. As has been said here, it could very well be the case he's holding it together at school - but just, and when he gets home lashes out because he feels safe? But only guessing.

Fussy eating could be a matter of health. Our taste buds are connected to our gut and if we're 'hyper-aware' our biology will tell us what we should and shouldn't eat. Many of us suffer from IBS or auto immune disorders. I am allergic to grains, legumes, high fibre veg, but it took years before anyone would listen to me. Back then you ate what you were given, though I opted for not eating at all and it probably saved my life!

As for other senses, one main thing to note is as parents we've had 30+ years to acclimate. Unless we're autistic, then we don't, because our brains aren't wired that way. When we have difficulty Dulling our Senses, this current modern civilisation is unbearable because so much of it is unnatural. 

this is a little list of what I've recommended other parents: 

Textile: 100% natural fibres: wool, cotton, silk or tree based fabric. Polyester is a bi-product of petroleum which is basically plastic. In a fire, it would melt to the skin and turn to plastic. Human skin cannot breathe in polyesters, so instead of keeping us warm, it causes us to sweat and does not allow for the body to regulate temperature properly. It can be hard to find 100%, but some companies have a nano-percent of polys/nylons/elastic.

Cleaning products: Detergents, soaps, countertop sprays and liquids - I buy unscented like EcoverZero or like Dr. Bronner’s, have natural essential oils. You might occasionally use bleach (which you’d use away from kids anyway) and maybe dishwasher tablets which can dry in the dishwasher, blocked from breathing in the scents. Fairy liquid doesn't bother me but we're all different with this. All candles: beeswax or soy (not petroleum based) with pure essential oils - rarely used. No plug-ins or incense.

Bicarbonate of Soda and activated charcoal are some of the best natural elements for removing unwanted smells.

Lightbulbs! Buy mostly energy saving halogen - these are still legal and will be into the unforeseen future.. Note that lamps and fixtures need to be build FOR halogen as LED works on a different electrical set-up and halogen is hotter. (Saving maybe a Salt lamp with an LED because the salt breaks up the light properly). LEDs are fine for safety / occasional use. Get a Light Awareness card for your son: https://lightaware.org  LEDs are proven to damage the retinas in infants, they deplete rare earth minerals and do not have the full spectrum of light like filament based bulbs which mirror the sun. They contain too much UV and no IR. The human eye uses infrared (IR) to see with contrast. For every one halogen on, one might feel they need to keep turning on LEDs sensing they just can't see properly. Because they can't.

Sound: Ensure there’s no ongoing stream of noise/drones around the house. You could buy him ear defenders to help block out noise if it's an issue. The tones which come from small computer speakers can be grating and those sounds alone have made me a bit irate on more than one occasion. Speakers and other items can give off the worst buzz or hum when they're off if the socket is still turned on.  Birdsong, however, is amazing IMO :)

Sensory extends to Emotions, kinetics and environmental - some of us can feel the air pressure. It's the intensity at which we feel these which makes our senses unbearable at times. And coupled with the difficulty with language, and inability to express what we're sensing - compounds the intensity. Hope this helps!

Children