Sons autism

Hello everyone I'm Laura.  My 5 year old child has sensory disorder and has just been diagnosed with autism. Im just wondering where do I go from here? I feel at a loss tbh.  He Is doing well at school but at home it's like he is a totally different person. He hits out at me alot and at his older brother who is 15 they dont get on at all which is very upsetting for me. I want to be able to help son as much as possible so any advice is welcomed. Thank you Blush 

Parents
  • Off the wall idea perhaps but it might work... can you buy him a punch bag and encourage him to use it?

Lashing out physically has never been something I've had, but my cousin also on the Spectrum has been known to on the odd occasion.  She's at university now and apparently manages this with a punch bag, whenever she feels that kind of melt down coming on.

Clearly, he can't go on lashing out at you or anyone else, even though we all get that there won't be any mean intent to hurt you behind it. That would only get worse as he gets older.  But if you could get a strong enough message across that while no one is angry with him and every one understands he is stressed, he really must punch the bag, not people.  Remember you can't stop a melt down, but you can manoeuvre it somewhere safe. 

Perhaps, if he stops hitting out at his brother they might get on better; tolerate each other at least.

Otherwise, there will be major sensory or social stressors behind the meltdowns.  It's not uncommon for bright autistic kids to hold it together all day at school only to dissolve into overwhelm as soon as they get home.  They've reached saturation point by then. 

• Off the wall idea perhaps but it might work... can you buy him a punch bag and encourage him to use it?

Lashing out physically has never been something I've had, but my cousin also on the Spectrum has been known to on the odd occasion.  She's at university now and apparently manages this with a punch bag, whenever she feels that kind of melt down coming on.

Clearly, he can't go on lashing out at you or anyone else, even though we all get that there won't be any mean intent to hurt you behind it. That would only get worse as he gets older.  But if you could get a strong enough message across that while no one is angry with him and every one understands he is stressed, he really must punch the bag, not people.  Remember you can't stop a melt down, but you can manoeuvre it somewhere safe. 

Perhaps, if he stops hitting out at his brother they might get on better; tolerate each other at least.

Otherwise, there will be major sensory or social stressors behind the meltdowns.  It's not uncommon for bright autistic kids to hold it together all day at school only to dissolve into overwhelm as soon as they get home.  They've reached saturation point by then. 

Children
  • Thank you for your reply. Yes I will try a punch bag. I totally understand about holding it together all day then letting it all out, it's so much for them to deal with. We go in our park after school he loves to climb and swing I find that calms him sometimes.