Difficulty with jobs

Hi my name is Phil

My daughter who is 19 is wanting to get a job but she struggles. She was diagnosed with autism/ aspurgers at school she has difficulty with people she doesn't know and with being in a large group of people. She has had a job which unfortunately only lasted a few hours but in that time she was unable to cope with it. Now she is starting another new job soon but it is in sales over the phone. Which I think she's not understood what it entails and she's been a bit railroaded in to it. She has already started to panic about it and stressed But if she doesn't go she could have a job benefit taken from her. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Parents
  • HI Phil - I echo Alex's comments - I've done sales jobs before and hated them. It's very high pressure as it's results focused (I always thought that was really unfair as I tried really hard but never got anywhere because it really wasn't my skillset).

Does she get any careers guidance from a job centre? (I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant of how that side of things works).  It seems ridiculous (though nothing this government does really surprises me much any more) that there is such little consideration of her diagnosis in pushing her into a job that is clearly not suitable.

If they are useless, are you able to help her with trying to identify any skills she has? For example if she has good attention to detail and something more task-based like data entry as someone else mentioned might be less pressured.

• HI Phil - I echo Alex's comments - I've done sales jobs before and hated them. It's very high pressure as it's results focused (I always thought that was really unfair as I tried really hard but never got anywhere because it really wasn't my skillset).

Does she get any careers guidance from a job centre? (I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant of how that side of things works).  It seems ridiculous (though nothing this government does really surprises me much any more) that there is such little consideration of her diagnosis in pushing her into a job that is clearly not suitable.

If they are useless, are you able to help her with trying to identify any skills she has? For example if she has good attention to detail and something more task-based like data entry as someone else mentioned might be less pressured.

Children
No Data