Difficulty with jobs

Hi my name is Phil

My daughter who is 19 is wanting to get a job but she struggles. She was diagnosed with autism/ aspurgers at school she has difficulty with people she doesn't know and with being in a large group of people. She has had a job which unfortunately only lasted a few hours but in that time she was unable to cope with it. Now she is starting another new job soon but it is in sales over the phone. Which I think she's not understood what it entails and she's been a bit railroaded in to it. She has already started to panic about it and stressed But if she doesn't go she could have a job benefit taken from her. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Parents
  • Personally I wouldn’t recommend a sales job on a phone(unless she really enjoys talking on the phone to people. As it is so much harder to understand how someone is feeling when you can’t see their face.) What she really needs is to find a job where they are fully supportive of her needs and are able to make adjustments. Do you have any family members or friends who work anywhere that are advertising jobs? It doesn’t have to be a dream job at this stage. My older autistic brother was 19 when he 1st had a job. I was 16- working at a soft play centre and they needed more staff so he applied and got the job. It took about 3 months for him to find his feet and it really helped that I was there to give him the support as I understood what his strengths and weakness were. I was able to stand up for him as well-I hate that people have to be so mean. But it really did work out well for him, no it wasn’t a dream job for either of us but it gave him the confidence that he could work . And now he is a NHS Porter and has worked nearly everyday of the pandemic. I couldn’t have ever imagined him doing a job like that! It’s truly amazing how far you can come. You just have to find the right path.

• Personally I wouldn’t recommend a sales job on a phone(unless she really enjoys talking on the phone to people. As it is so much harder to understand how someone is feeling when you can’t see their face.) What she really needs is to find a job where they are fully supportive of her needs and are able to make adjustments. Do you have any family members or friends who work anywhere that are advertising jobs? It doesn’t have to be a dream job at this stage. My older autistic brother was 19 when he 1st had a job. I was 16- working at a soft play centre and they needed more staff so he applied and got the job. It took about 3 months for him to find his feet and it really helped that I was there to give him the support as I understood what his strengths and weakness were. I was able to stand up for him as well-I hate that people have to be so mean. But it really did work out well for him, no it wasn’t a dream job for either of us but it gave him the confidence that he could work . And now he is a NHS Porter and has worked nearly everyday of the pandemic. I couldn’t have ever imagined him doing a job like that! It’s truly amazing how far you can come. You just have to find the right path.

Children
No Data