Hello

Pleased to meet you all. I'm in the process of being assessed/waiting for the next stage of assessment. I'm 41, male, and caring full-time for my father at the moment.

Parents
  • Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I don't suppose anyone knows what the overall delays are with the lancashire autism service at the moment?

My GP submitted the request for an assessment in november 2019. In may/june 2020 I got an initial triage telephone appointment, had some online forms to fill in in september 2020 (AQ50, EQ50, family questionnaire). Six months later I emailed them for an update and was told they'd tried to phone me and hadn't gotten through - got a cancellation for an interview the next week. That was the end of march 2020 though. They say they'll need a sit-down meeting with the whole staff, which can't happen for a while because of covid. Plus the psychologist that did my interview went on maternity leave. So I'm 2 years 2 months in at the moment. Getting a bit antsy.

The interview was interesting though - some things came up that I didn't realise were connected, such as "Do you have very flexible joints?" and  "Do you have a high pain threshold?". Well, yes I do but I didn't know that was an autistic thing? Who else has these. Her closing statement was "You're in the right place", which is a little ambiguous.

• I also have very flexible joints (hypermobile I belive it's called) and a high pain threshold too. 

• Interesting, isn't it? I used to take karate lessons, and a lot of the joint locks and things like that just wouldn't work on me because putting my joints at their limit of movement doesn't seem to hurt me like it does other people.

I asked my doctor about it a while back. He did a few tests but didn't find anything. I don't understand how such things are related to autism? Possibly a common gene involved?

• Interesting, isn't it? I used to take karate lessons, and a lot of the joint locks and things like that just wouldn't work on me because putting my joints at their limit of movement doesn't seem to hurt me like it does other people.

I asked my doctor about it a while back. He did a few tests but didn't find anything. I don't understand how such things are related to autism? Possibly a common gene involved?

Children