Introduction

I suck at intros so I'll just say hello for now RoflRofl

Parents
  • Hello Wave I'm new too.

Random question to all the programmers/coders (if that's what you guys call yourselves?! Sweat smile) but how did you initially get into it? I'm sadly oblivious to all things 'tech' 

• my first interaction with computers was using MS DOS (anyone remember that!?!?), so command-based interactions with computers is what I saw as proper computing, and it was immensely satisfying typing in the correct commands. that was the start of me finding 'coding' exciting. i then had to do a bit at university for my MSc dissertation, then I really had to use it in my job - we were doing fairly sophisticated stuff with big data sets that excel was too rubbish to handle, so used code-based statistical software. after that i learned html as a side hobby, then work transitioned to R and Python and I got into those a bit. It is just satisfying looking at a screen of code, being able to understand it, know it is your creation, and that it works. It is both creative and logical, so satisfying for the whole brain. There aren't many thinks like that TBH. I always chuckle at the self-defined 'creative' types who just have no clue that creativity exists everywhere, not just in an artist studio or a theatre, in fact from my interactions they don't want to know!

• I remember MS Dos on the first PCs we had years ago.  I used to have to change the big tape backup reels on our very old UNIX machines 30 years ago.  5 1/4" floppy discs made way for the incredible 3 1/2" ones that had SO much storage.  20meg PCs were amazing and the chips where in numbers (286, 386, 486) before Intel realized you couldn't patent a number so changed it to Pentium

• I think I know them. They're in the Cabinet now, right?

• We had a teacher who tried to jam a cassette into the 5 1/4" floppy drive of a school BBC Micro!

• amazing.

i still remember being in a school IT class aged around 10/11 and the slightly suspicious teacher asked the all boy class whether it was better to have a 3.5" stiffy or a 5.5" floppy!!! 

Reply Children