How long to adjust to diagnosis?

After what feels like a lifetime of Ill defined mental health problems and difficulties I’ve finally revived a diagnosis for ASD at the start of December, a few days shy of my 40th birthday. I’m finding the whole thing a little hard to get my head around and I guess it’d be good to know how long other people took to accept and adjust to their diagnosis? I spent the first month kind of ignoring it but have just started really hammering the books to understand what it means so I can maybe start understand who I am. 

it feels like I’ve been completely alone in this for so long that I don’t really know how to accept or understand my thoughts and feelings, my wife is amazing but I can’t really express to her how I feel as I don’t have the language. I’m relieved that I’m not just odd and a failure at life but I also feel this means that things I find difficult are never going to really be surmountable. 

also starting conversations on the internet shakes me almost as much as doing so in real life which doesn’t help, thanks for reading  :) 

Parents
  • I received my diagnosis at 64, I'm trying to understand what to do with it? I can't go around with a label saying "I'm ASD - you have to put up with it!".

I am struggling where to get guidance to make life a little better for me and my long-suffering non-ASD partner who has put up with a lot over the past 30 years.

• I received my diagnosis at 64, I'm trying to understand what to do with it? I can't go around with a label saying "I'm ASD - you have to put up with it!".

I am struggling where to get guidance to make life a little better for me and my long-suffering non-ASD partner who has put up with a lot over the past 30 years.

Children
No Data