Does anyone have problems with playing video games for hours on end without stopping every day?

I have always played video games since I was young. I am now 31.

Currently I probably play 3 hours average per day plus 4-5 at weekends.  I can become incredibly invested.

Time just seems to pass by very quickly and I only really stop because my partner tells me to. 

Anyone experience this?  Is it good? Or is it bad?

Cheers

Parents
  • It is difficult to make an assessment based on what you've said. Do you enjoy playing games, or do you feel that you do so compulsively? Do you think that it negatively impacts other areas of your life?

I'd be wary about saying you have a problem purely based on time spent, as games are a form of entertainment and occasionally an art form- there is no obvious limit beyond which it is 'bad'. I spend a huge amount of time reading- at what point is that bad? Obviously, doing any activity to the exclusion of all others would limit your intellectual/social development, but you're probably a way away from that.

• It is difficult to make an assessment based on what you've said. Do you enjoy playing games, or do you feel that you do so compulsively? Do you think that it negatively impacts other areas of your life?

I'd be wary about saying you have a problem purely based on time spent, as games are a form of entertainment and occasionally an art form- there is no obvious limit beyond which it is 'bad'. I spend a huge amount of time reading- at what point is that bad? Obviously, doing any activity to the exclusion of all others would limit your intellectual/social development, but you're probably a way away from that.

Children
No Data