New person saying hello!

I've just joined this community and thought an introduction was in order.

I'm in my late 40s and realised this year, during a period of burnout (not my first), that I was most probably autistic.  Currently waiting to hear if I've been accepted for an assessment after being referred by my GP.

Reading books by other autistic people has been a huge help, as there was so much I could relate to.  So now I'm just processing everything I've been learning over the last few months.

Nice to 'meet' you all!

Parents
  • Hi.  I'm in late 40's and been through the burnout, but it was other things that led to me being diagnosed in 2014.  Whilst its good to read about others, its also good to spend time getting to know yourself, .  Autistic people are not always fully aware of themselves, until people point things out or we discover for ourselves as we go through life and get stressed, or fail at things.  You need to convey who you are and your difficulties to get a diagnosis, so the more you know the better.  Evidence from parents/siblings would also be valuable, especially if you know things that you don't, or have forgotten/buried.

• Hi!  That’s really helpful advice - thank you.  My parents aren’t around any more, but my partner (who I’ve known for 28 years) has said a lot of things make sense to him now.  I’ve started making notes as I think of things, and I have all my old school reports.  (Generally not the most organised person, but I’m trying to be a bit more so where this is concerned, as I know my mind will draw a blank when the time comes!)

• Having a long-term partner that knows you well is as good as parents/siblings, though they won't know your childhood so its good if your school reports give clues.  Mine tended to have things like "quiet member of the class", and "didn't take part in discussions".  My ex-partner helped with my diagnosis because she was aware of a few things I wasn't.  Think back through your life, you might remember things that happened that are related to autism.

Write it all down, and take your time over the notes, add to it as things come to you.

• Lots to think about here - thank you 

• That's a good example, that's typical of autism though could be social anxiety, but it adds to the picture they build when you are being assessed.  Think of how you felt at school, how you got through.  Think about how you got through life since. Also, how were your parents, any clues of them being autistic.  It can be hard for autistic people to identify all their autistic traits, but find out what you can until the assessment comes.

• That's a good example, that's typical of autism though could be social anxiety, but it adds to the picture they build when you are being assessed.  Think of how you felt at school, how you got through.  Think about how you got through life since. Also, how were your parents, any clues of them being autistic.  It can be hard for autistic people to identify all their autistic traits, but find out what you can until the assessment comes.

Children