New person saying hello!

I've just joined this community and thought an introduction was in order.

I'm in my late 40s and realised this year, during a period of burnout (not my first), that I was most probably autistic.  Currently waiting to hear if I've been accepted for an assessment after being referred by my GP.

Reading books by other autistic people has been a huge help, as there was so much I could relate to.  So now I'm just processing everything I've been learning over the last few months.

Nice to 'meet' you all!

• Lots to think about here - thank you 

• That's a good example, that's typical of autism though could be social anxiety, but it adds to the picture they build when you are being assessed.  Think of how you felt at school, how you got through.  Think about how you got through life since. Also, how were your parents, any clues of them being autistic.  It can be hard for autistic people to identify all their autistic traits, but find out what you can until the assessment comes.

• My school reports say pretty much the same thing as yours - the general themes being not speaking or taking part in group activities.  And going back you you saying we sometimes aren’t aware of ourselves - I saw an old school friend recently and she was talking about how difficult it was to get a word out of me.  I’d always thought I was way more talkative around her than that.  (I guess by my standards I was being chatty!)

Actually, I need to add that to my notes, too!

• Having a long-term partner that knows you well is as good as parents/siblings, though they won't know your childhood so its good if your school reports give clues.  Mine tended to have things like "quiet member of the class", and "didn't take part in discussions".  My ex-partner helped with my diagnosis because she was aware of a few things I wasn't.  Think back through your life, you might remember things that happened that are related to autism.

Write it all down, and take your time over the notes, add to it as things come to you.

• Hi!  That’s really helpful advice - thank you.  My parents aren’t around any more, but my partner (who I’ve known for 28 years) has said a lot of things make sense to him now.  I’ve started making notes as I think of things, and I have all my old school reports.  (Generally not the most organised person, but I’m trying to be a bit more so where this is concerned, as I know my mind will draw a blank when the time comes!)

• Hi.  I'm in late 40's and been through the burnout, but it was other things that led to me being diagnosed in 2014.  Whilst its good to read about others, its also good to spend time getting to know yourself, .  Autistic people are not always fully aware of themselves, until people point things out or we discover for ourselves as we go through life and get stressed, or fail at things.  You need to convey who you are and your difficulties to get a diagnosis, so the more you know the better.  Evidence from parents/siblings would also be valuable, especially if you know things that you don't, or have forgotten/buried.

• Yep, after seeing that score, I was fairly sure I was onto something!  JoyRofl

• Thank you - I’m sure there’ll be many of those!

• WELCOME! Relieved Ever got any questions don't hesitate to ask us Relieved 

• wow --- thats  impressive

• I have, yes.  Did an online AQ50 test a couple of months ago and scored 49.

• Thank you!  Good to be here!

• have u tried an online test ?  --- see what u score 

psychology-tools.com/.../autism-spectrum-quotient

• Honestly, I can't pinpoint one thing (or even several) that led to me linking what I was going through to the possibility of autism.  I think it was a far more indirect route than looking at burnout > autistic burnout > autism

Maybe the "burnout" I mentioned in my introduction was more of a "shutdown" if we sat down and worked through the specifics.  (Masking is something I'm now aware I've done over the course of my life...maybe not daily, but I could think of many examples where I've realised that's what I was doing.)

Once I did make the connection, and started to make notes...well, once I noticed I was on page eight and still hadn't finished getting it all onto paper, that gave me a pretty strong clue that I was onto something.

• realised this year, during a period of burnout (not my first), that I was most probably autistic. 

What is it that brought you to this conclusion? 

Burnout is a state of physical and emotional exhaustion, but there is little mention of autistic burnout in the academic literature and it is not a hallmark trait of autism in the DSM 5 (the latest iteration of the diagnostic manual used by clinicians).

However, there is an increasing amount of anecdotal evidence of autistic burnout, which is described as being caused by the stress of masking and living in an unaccommodating neurotypical world.  Autistic burnout
     prevents people from managing daily living skills and can also lead to suicide attempts. 

There are also shutdowns and meltdowns which are cause by an overload of mental or physical sensory input.