Hello - Newcomer (and new to autism)

Hi, hopefully not going to sound predictable but have recently accepted that I am probably autistic, but need to explore further.

I have a history of 'odd' behaviour going back to when I was a child, although this was all dismissed by my parent as me just being silly.  Looking back these would nowadays be considered autism traits! These are very personal and have always kept these to myself.    I have had issues most of my life which I find hard to explain to people, who put into words that adequately explain what I think or feel.  I have always been seen as socially a bit awkward and difficulty to talk to.  I have had some issues with jobs too..

I guess I am now considering what to do, should I speak to my GP etc..  I was given an AQ test to do a while back, I scored 36 and was told that was a possible indicator of autism plus my back ground.  

Is this the same for all adults who reach this stage? (in my 40s!)

Parents
  • First of all, welcome home! There are so many of us here in the same boat as you. 

I relate very much to the "odd" behaviour thing and being dismissed as silly. I was called silly for my whole childhood. Only found out I was autistic at 33 and a year later am on the waiting list for my diagnosis assessment. 

Anytime you want to talk we are all here 

• First of all, welcome home! There are so many of us here in the same boat as you. 

I relate very much to the "odd" behaviour thing and being dismissed as silly. I was called silly for my whole childhood. Only found out I was autistic at 33 and a year later am on the waiting list for my diagnosis assessment. 

Anytime you want to talk we are all here 

Children