Hi everyone

I'm pretty sure I have ASD as I just scored  40/50 on the online AQ test, and  when that Australian vlogger called Paul lists "15 signs that you may be autistic", I can tick 14 of them.

The realisation is so far liberating; now I know why I have been in and out of treatment for depression for most of my adult life. It seems that the overevolved, hyperintelligent apes with whom I share a planet can be hard work sometimes, and the realisation that I am one of them doesn't help!

But I think I can accept having ASD. The questions I have so far are:

1) should I bother with a formal, medical diagnosis?. Dammit, I know I'm weird; what good does it do to give it a name?
2) If it is a "spectrum" then isn't everybody on it somewhere? The better question would be are you at the red end or the blue end?

Looking forward to conversing with people who might understand, and who can forgive my occasional sarcasm (eg about overevolved apes) because their own coping mechanisms involve a sense of humour that neurotypicals describe as "weird"...

Keith

Parents
  • the way the traits manifest in behaviour or cognitive performance can be similar in different neurotypes even though the cause is different.

exactly all homo sapiens, icluding those sociopathic as well, autistic have more of them than others, sociopathic the least

you may be mis-diagnosing yourself. 

I am a victim of one of the traits we often posses - sense of righteousness, so it did not occur to me LOL

• All I know for sure is that I know nothing at all. And I lived happily ever after Wink

• I try to better the world. I would if I could, but I can't and I try anyway.

I probably know nothing at all as well, except that I tend to forget about it often Smiley

Happily everafter has been sent away into a distant future Wink

• no not Mariusz ! we will all die aaaaaaaaargh everyone run  Runner tone5  Runner tone2

• they might be encouraged to change themselves

nothing forceful I know. it just sounded wrong. you are much better with words, It would probably be easier for me to chop them (words) with an axe like I used to chop wood back home. 

the ones who are responsible for all the violence and suffering in the world

put autistic in charge is a receipe for tyrant, I used to say in my previous job to rebuff their attempts at making me a manager

• You can't change the world for the better, Mariusz. You can only change your own world (the world inside of you) for the better. And then when other people see how you have changed for the better, they might be encouraged to change themselves. And then the world does change.

There is a lot of truth in the old saying, "Be the change you want to see in the world." 

People who want to change the world, for whatever reason, are the ones who are responsible for all the violence and suffering in the world. Because, as sure as eggs is eggs, what one person sees as a change for the better, another person else will see as a change for the worse.  And then you have conflict. This is how every war, every atrocity and every injustice has started—two opposing ideas, two ideologies, two visions of how to change the world to make it better.  

• You can't change the world for the better, Mariusz. You can only change your own world (the world inside of you) for the better. And then when other people see how you have changed for the better, they might be encouraged to change themselves. And then the world does change.

There is a lot of truth in the old saying, "Be the change you want to see in the world." 

People who want to change the world, for whatever reason, are the ones who are responsible for all the violence and suffering in the world. Because, as sure as eggs is eggs, what one person sees as a change for the better, another person else will see as a change for the worse.  And then you have conflict. This is how every war, every atrocity and every injustice has started—two opposing ideas, two ideologies, two visions of how to change the world to make it better.  

Children