Newly diagnosed 10 year old son. Help

Hi all,

I have a 10 year old son, who has just been diagnosed as having Aspergers, Friday 8th March. A year ago he was diagnosed as having sensory processing disorders. It has taken a long time for this diagnosis, we were first told he has social anxiety about 4 years ago.

I always knew it was more and kept notes of his behaviours. We got diagnosed as a result of me pushing for a speech and language therapist, first he had to have a hearing test which we found out he has hyper acuisis, after a thorough talk with peaditirician, she sent us to Occupational therapist who then diagnosed the SPD. we then went back to doctors who with him, the OT report and the school referred us to CAMHS. Over a year later we finally have a diagnosis.

My son has lots of worries and anxieties daily, has regular meltdowns at home (not school), struggles with friends are amongst some.  The worries are so bad i have the same questions daily, he especially worries when not with me, where i am,what im doing, will i be on time, will i forget to pick him up etc.

If anyone has any support or ideas to help with the worries, it would be a great help. We do not know where we should go next or what we should do.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Parents
  • We have not told him of his aspergers diagnosis. we were unsure of whether to or not, as when we told him of his sensory processing dosorder, he got really depressed and down on himself. He kept saying he hates himself, he doesnt want to be different. im useless, i cant do anything.We explained that everybody is different and finds different things difficult, and highlighted what hes good at and how he had good hearing, sense of smelletc.  He often gets sad and has low self esteem. The doctor and teacher doesnt think we should tell him because of his anxieties.

• We have not told him of his aspergers diagnosis. we were unsure of whether to or not, as when we told him of his sensory processing dosorder, he got really depressed and down on himself. He kept saying he hates himself, he doesnt want to be different. im useless, i cant do anything.We explained that everybody is different and finds different things difficult, and highlighted what hes good at and how he had good hearing, sense of smelletc.  He often gets sad and has low self esteem. The doctor and teacher doesnt think we should tell him because of his anxieties.

Children
No Data