Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hello all

I've been with my boyfriend 18 months. He received a formal diagnosis from a psychologist yesterday. He is very articulate and intelligent but finds everyday life tasks difficult.

His main problem is employment, and now housing. He has a very patchy work history, with some 'high-achieving' jobs interspersed with long periods of unemployment. He's in his late 30s.

Because of employment problems, he hasn't worked for around 18 months. During that time he has been living off an inheritance from his dad's death. But that money is fast running out. He has avoided looking at the work situation for some time since it makes him so anxious.

Meanwhile he's been living with a friend of his as a lodger. But this friend now wants him out by the end of January (wants to move his girlfriend in). My boyfriend now needs to find housing. But he has no job and none of the usual paperwork that landlords want. He fears being a lodger again in an informal way since that gives you so few rights and so little control in his experience. He wants somewhere stable and secure where he doesn't have to share with anyone.

I don't know where he is going to live. I am renting a small bedsit, and he says he doesn't want to stay with me as the bed is not long enough for him and he can't sleep. I'm not in a position to rent anywhere else as I'm on a low income (finishing a PhD). I suffer from anxiety myself, and he and I both agree that living together suddenly would put incredible pressure on the relationship as the place is too small and we are under a lot of strain.

Do you happen to know if ASD people can get any help with housing, even if they are high-functioning? He does have the cash to pay a (low) rent, but he's been out of the system for so long, and now there is the cruelty of the London rental market to contend with.

Thanks

• Hello all

I've been with my boyfriend 18 months. He received a formal diagnosis from a psychologist yesterday. He is very articulate and intelligent but finds everyday life tasks difficult.

His main problem is employment, and now housing. He has a very patchy work history, with some 'high-achieving' jobs interspersed with long periods of unemployment. He's in his late 30s.

Because of employment problems, he hasn't worked for around 18 months. During that time he has been living off an inheritance from his dad's death. But that money is fast running out. He has avoided looking at the work situation for some time since it makes him so anxious.

Meanwhile he's been living with a friend of his as a lodger. But this friend now wants him out by the end of January (wants to move his girlfriend in). My boyfriend now needs to find housing. But he has no job and none of the usual paperwork that landlords want. He fears being a lodger again in an informal way since that gives you so few rights and so little control in his experience. He wants somewhere stable and secure where he doesn't have to share with anyone.

I don't know where he is going to live. I am renting a small bedsit, and he says he doesn't want to stay with me as the bed is not long enough for him and he can't sleep. I'm not in a position to rent anywhere else as I'm on a low income (finishing a PhD). I suffer from anxiety myself, and he and I both agree that living together suddenly would put incredible pressure on the relationship as the place is too small and we are under a lot of strain.

Do you happen to know if ASD people can get any help with housing, even if they are high-functioning? He does have the cash to pay a (low) rent, but he's been out of the system for so long, and now there is the cruelty of the London rental market to contend with.

Thanks

Children
No Data