Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Yes Hope, you have enlarged well on my point.  I am a caring person, I fight for my children tooth and nail to get what they need, I defend people that need defending (not only my Aspie compatriots), I am way more considerate than the average NT out there selfishly shoving their way through society, I am always worried about being a problem to others and I am scrupulously honest.  Yet I have Asperger's.  I am fed-up with Aspie bashing, because this is what it amounts to.

Men as a "species" are often said to have deficits in communication and supportiveness, being better at breadwinning than being someone to confide problems in (this isn't my generalisation BTW) and yet we have those very traits being knocked as being because of Asperger's.

It's the criticising the condition I take issue with, we blame and second-guess ourselves enough without others doing it too.

I have no problem with people discussing their issues and looking for support and mutual experience to compare notes on, that's what the forum is for (us Aspies do it too), and we all have equal rights, no-one should feel gagged, but there should be more thought given to the causes of particular behaviours instead of defining someone purely because of their condition (diagnosed or possible) and heaping all the blame on that.

• Yes Hope, you have enlarged well on my point.  I am a caring person, I fight for my children tooth and nail to get what they need, I defend people that need defending (not only my Aspie compatriots), I am way more considerate than the average NT out there selfishly shoving their way through society, I am always worried about being a problem to others and I am scrupulously honest.  Yet I have Asperger's.  I am fed-up with Aspie bashing, because this is what it amounts to.

Men as a "species" are often said to have deficits in communication and supportiveness, being better at breadwinning than being someone to confide problems in (this isn't my generalisation BTW) and yet we have those very traits being knocked as being because of Asperger's.

It's the criticising the condition I take issue with, we blame and second-guess ourselves enough without others doing it too.

I have no problem with people discussing their issues and looking for support and mutual experience to compare notes on, that's what the forum is for (us Aspies do it too), and we all have equal rights, no-one should feel gagged, but there should be more thought given to the causes of particular behaviours instead of defining someone purely because of their condition (diagnosed or possible) and heaping all the blame on that.

Children
No Data