Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi Susie,

I certainly can understand your feelings of being torn.  It's all new to you and, of course, your feelings are raw.

I'm not one to ask for guidance.  My husband is on the spectrum, but is not diagnosed. Good for you being diagnosed!  Everything takes time.  As it passes, more will become clear.

For me, what has helped in our relationship, and is vital to my husband, is the technique "active listening."  He refers to it as his lifeline in our marriage.

Do you have a therapist to help unwind your raw feelings?  For me, therapy has always helped.  I learned there not to take my husband's blunt way of speaking personally - what an eye-opener.

Wish you the best.  Let us know how you are doing.

Best,

Artsy

• Hi Susie,

I certainly can understand your feelings of being torn.  It's all new to you and, of course, your feelings are raw.

I'm not one to ask for guidance.  My husband is on the spectrum, but is not diagnosed. Good for you being diagnosed!  Everything takes time.  As it passes, more will become clear.

For me, what has helped in our relationship, and is vital to my husband, is the technique "active listening."  He refers to it as his lifeline in our marriage.

Do you have a therapist to help unwind your raw feelings?  For me, therapy has always helped.  I learned there not to take my husband's blunt way of speaking personally - what an eye-opener.

Wish you the best.  Let us know how you are doing.

Best,

Artsy

Children
No Data