Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi folks.

I have not posted before but have read lots of your comments with interest.  Today I am writing this in total despair with my relationship and would love to hear from anyone with positive comments please.  I have a very dear partner of 6 years who's ways are driving me to despair and I have begun to believe he may have Aspergers syndrome.

He has always been very quirky but has also childlike and endearing qualities which is why I fell for him.  (And yes he has many obsessions and extreme likes and dislikes from which he cannot be moved.) Despite this he is very kind, generous and in his own way very considerate.

The main difficulty I have is his lask of emotional and physical connection.  Out of the blue a while ago he pushed me away and said he had never liked physical contact and  will never again touch me! Then he just carried on a conversation as normal whilst leaving me devastated.  I tried to talk to him later about it but he just gets annoyed and changes the subject.  

In our 6 years together he has never given me a compliment but finds it easy to tell me how attractive other females are!!?? again when I tell him it hurts me he looks blank and gets annoyed.

I actually work with autistic children to have tried to be understanding about this but today it's just got to me Cry I do not understand at all.

Am really sorry to come onto this site so down but am hoping someone out there can help me understand his thinking and re connect with him.

Thanks for reading this.

• Hi folks.

I have not posted before but have read lots of your comments with interest.  Today I am writing this in total despair with my relationship and would love to hear from anyone with positive comments please.  I have a very dear partner of 6 years who's ways are driving me to despair and I have begun to believe he may have Aspergers syndrome.

He has always been very quirky but has also childlike and endearing qualities which is why I fell for him.  (And yes he has many obsessions and extreme likes and dislikes from which he cannot be moved.) Despite this he is very kind, generous and in his own way very considerate.

The main difficulty I have is his lask of emotional and physical connection.  Out of the blue a while ago he pushed me away and said he had never liked physical contact and  will never again touch me! Then he just carried on a conversation as normal whilst leaving me devastated.  I tried to talk to him later about it but he just gets annoyed and changes the subject.  

In our 6 years together he has never given me a compliment but finds it easy to tell me how attractive other females are!!?? again when I tell him it hurts me he looks blank and gets annoyed.

I actually work with autistic children to have tried to be understanding about this but today it's just got to me Cry I do not understand at all.

Am really sorry to come onto this site so down but am hoping someone out there can help me understand his thinking and re connect with him.

Thanks for reading this.

Children
No Data