Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi Rosemary,

I forget the schools went back on Tuesday in England, i hope he has a good day.  Great that you have someone to go with you on Thursday, ( what a wait, no wonder you are so stressed)!

You are sooo right , i accept my sons little quirks, it makes him who he is and i love him for it, but my families constant lack of understanding stresses me out much more than my son ever could.

My son does not have a statement.  i think the system is different up in scotland anyway.  i have ILP (individual learning plan) meetings supposedly every three months (it has been about five since the last one)!  where senco co ordinator who is the Headmistress , his teacher, local school nurse , special learning part time teacher and speech therapist, who is actually the person who after tests diagnosed my son verbally with Aspergers.  He has not been officially assessed as i quote" in Scotland we deal with childrens  on a needs basis and we are meeting his needs without extra help), they suggested i have him diagnosed officially before he starts secondary school as there may then be extra help given for the transition.  This off course may change if any of my sons anxieties or any other concerns show themselves.

Let me tell you something that may make you laugh, my son was due to go to a really big birthday party at the weekend, which as usual he did not want to as he does not like the big groups or noise, when he spoke to me about it he told me "  well i cannot go anyway mum i told the boy, as i am allergic to cats and he has one"!  My son is not allergic to cats!! he is so clever he just invented the excuse.  I thought it hilarious (maybe a little bit sad if you think on it) but my son missed nothing , he did not want to go, just the way he told me had me laughing.  

whinge to me any time you need to, you know i understand.

take care

Puffin x x 

• Hi Rosemary,

I forget the schools went back on Tuesday in England, i hope he has a good day.  Great that you have someone to go with you on Thursday, ( what a wait, no wonder you are so stressed)!

You are sooo right , i accept my sons little quirks, it makes him who he is and i love him for it, but my families constant lack of understanding stresses me out much more than my son ever could.

My son does not have a statement.  i think the system is different up in scotland anyway.  i have ILP (individual learning plan) meetings supposedly every three months (it has been about five since the last one)!  where senco co ordinator who is the Headmistress , his teacher, local school nurse , special learning part time teacher and speech therapist, who is actually the person who after tests diagnosed my son verbally with Aspergers.  He has not been officially assessed as i quote" in Scotland we deal with childrens  on a needs basis and we are meeting his needs without extra help), they suggested i have him diagnosed officially before he starts secondary school as there may then be extra help given for the transition.  This off course may change if any of my sons anxieties or any other concerns show themselves.

Let me tell you something that may make you laugh, my son was due to go to a really big birthday party at the weekend, which as usual he did not want to as he does not like the big groups or noise, when he spoke to me about it he told me "  well i cannot go anyway mum i told the boy, as i am allergic to cats and he has one"!  My son is not allergic to cats!! he is so clever he just invented the excuse.  I thought it hilarious (maybe a little bit sad if you think on it) but my son missed nothing , he did not want to go, just the way he told me had me laughing.  

whinge to me any time you need to, you know i understand.

take care

Puffin x x 

Children
No Data