Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Puffin - Holy smoke!! Your husband kicked you????!!!Foot in MouthFoot in Mouth Am now quite shocked. Does it happen often? Was it designed to hurt, or a sort of 'pretend-to-kick-you' passive aggression sort of a kick? Either way not nice and totally out of order.

Hope you don't mind me saying this but I don't think you should ignore it. If he is an aspie then he probably won't wonder why you are quiet with him as I am led to believe that AS don't think in this way. I [am a novice] but think they need things spelling out and sometimes in pictures!! Not joking - many AS people are very visual and words don't do it for them. For example, my partner prefers maps for directions, whereas I much prefer a list of instructions to follow.

Oh and another thing - my other half also has a defective memory! Its all very weird but I think it is because he processes language differently. So he remembers it as different to how a NT person would. Its horribly confusing and when you put AS glasses on to look at it, you end up scratching your head!

Domestic violence is never ever acceptable though. Please don't accept it.

Always here for you, love Rosemary xx  

• Puffin - Holy smoke!! Your husband kicked you????!!!Foot in MouthFoot in Mouth Am now quite shocked. Does it happen often? Was it designed to hurt, or a sort of 'pretend-to-kick-you' passive aggression sort of a kick? Either way not nice and totally out of order.

Hope you don't mind me saying this but I don't think you should ignore it. If he is an aspie then he probably won't wonder why you are quiet with him as I am led to believe that AS don't think in this way. I [am a novice] but think they need things spelling out and sometimes in pictures!! Not joking - many AS people are very visual and words don't do it for them. For example, my partner prefers maps for directions, whereas I much prefer a list of instructions to follow.

Oh and another thing - my other half also has a defective memory! Its all very weird but I think it is because he processes language differently. So he remembers it as different to how a NT person would. Its horribly confusing and when you put AS glasses on to look at it, you end up scratching your head!

Domestic violence is never ever acceptable though. Please don't accept it.

Always here for you, love Rosemary xx  

Children
No Data