Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi there,

sorry i have not been in touch my son went down with flu so have been really busy with my nurses hat on!

Sorry your 3rd session was a demorilising one Rosemary, are you ready to talk about it or is it too painful?  There are bound to be good and bad sessions.  Possibly you left on such a high after the last one and all has been so good the past week, this in comparison seems worse than it is? Undecided

I was really fed up Tuesday night, my son had a seriously high temp with the flu so i brought him into my bed, Dad was ok with that he went to my sons room.  My son then had a "night terror", scary things like nightmares but he does not kniow i am there and just screams (horrible), anyway my husband came in talking loadly which makes it worse.  i told my hubby what was going on to which he replies " he looks ok he knows what is going on" , like my husband knows, he has never witnessed one of my sons night terrors.  i told my husband to just watch and be quiet as our son was having a terror.  To which he told me to ***k ends in off gave me a quick kick and dissapeared back to bed!!  Lovely!!

I could have hit him, but i had to let all pass as you can imagine i was busy looking after my son.  The next day he wondered why i was quiet with him?!  "fair weather friends" is right Rosemary.  When things are tough my husband is hopeless!  When we finally spoke about it he said i was being patronising.  I really was not, my husband never plays a part when my son is ill and it does worry me sometimes what if i was not around would my husband know how to help our son during these terrors , i really wanted him to observe, but no i was patronising. I was dealing with a screaminmg child i do not know what he expected.  Don,t really want this site to be a complete moan about our other halfs, but only have you to moan to.

By the way my son has not been officially diagnosed, although school and speech therapist are sure (so am i ) after reading all the books in library, my husband also has not been assessed but after reading up for my son we all realised where it comes from.  my husband did do the online Aspergers test (look it up) and did score 32 i think it was just on the line for Aspergers.  Both my husband and son hate load noises (won,t visit cinema without earplugs) and are very sensitive to pain and illness.  Hate busy places, but yes everyone at my husbands work think he is great, always too busy to go to the pub or other work commitements?!  But a really nice guy, bit quiet.

Ho Hum!

Take care, 

Puffin x 

• Hi there,

sorry i have not been in touch my son went down with flu so have been really busy with my nurses hat on!

Sorry your 3rd session was a demorilising one Rosemary, are you ready to talk about it or is it too painful?  There are bound to be good and bad sessions.  Possibly you left on such a high after the last one and all has been so good the past week, this in comparison seems worse than it is? Undecided

I was really fed up Tuesday night, my son had a seriously high temp with the flu so i brought him into my bed, Dad was ok with that he went to my sons room.  My son then had a "night terror", scary things like nightmares but he does not kniow i am there and just screams (horrible), anyway my husband came in talking loadly which makes it worse.  i told my hubby what was going on to which he replies " he looks ok he knows what is going on" , like my husband knows, he has never witnessed one of my sons night terrors.  i told my husband to just watch and be quiet as our son was having a terror.  To which he told me to ***k ends in off gave me a quick kick and dissapeared back to bed!!  Lovely!!

I could have hit him, but i had to let all pass as you can imagine i was busy looking after my son.  The next day he wondered why i was quiet with him?!  "fair weather friends" is right Rosemary.  When things are tough my husband is hopeless!  When we finally spoke about it he said i was being patronising.  I really was not, my husband never plays a part when my son is ill and it does worry me sometimes what if i was not around would my husband know how to help our son during these terrors , i really wanted him to observe, but no i was patronising. I was dealing with a screaminmg child i do not know what he expected.  Don,t really want this site to be a complete moan about our other halfs, but only have you to moan to.

By the way my son has not been officially diagnosed, although school and speech therapist are sure (so am i ) after reading all the books in library, my husband also has not been assessed but after reading up for my son we all realised where it comes from.  my husband did do the online Aspergers test (look it up) and did score 32 i think it was just on the line for Aspergers.  Both my husband and son hate load noises (won,t visit cinema without earplugs) and are very sensitive to pain and illness.  Hate busy places, but yes everyone at my husbands work think he is great, always too busy to go to the pub or other work commitements?!  But a really nice guy, bit quiet.

Ho Hum!

Take care, 

Puffin x 

Children
No Data