Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hiya Rosemary. I'm not sure what i've done with the reply to the discussions sorry Undecided I hope this is the right one to speak to you on. If not just let me know, i'm not usually this daft (honest)I think i've just got excited with having some like minded people to finally speak to...ha ha

Yes i have wondered why his behaviour can improve when needed to. But i know from experience this can happen but isn't maintained. It's not in a vindictive kind of way but almost like it disappears out of his brain and the things that improved and he promised to work on and does do for a while just seem to go. It sounds like your counselling is going well though, i'm really pleased for you. It certainly sounds like the Aspergers is hereditary, from your hubby to your lovely little boy. My hubby's dad is exactly the same as he is, but much worse. When his parents found out his mum looked into it and couldn't believe that it was his dad. Everything fell into place for her too.

We were pointed to Aspergers being the possible diagnosis by a new friend (whose husband has been diagnosed with it officially). We then went to his GP with details etc of symptoms/behaviours etc and she asked us to leave it will her while she contacted the relevant health professionals (experts) A few weeks later she rang us & told us that although she cannot give the official diagnosis it more than likely is Aspergers. I can't imagine it being anything else. My hubby is a really lovely, kind person. He knows he upsets me & drives me crazy at times and although he doesn't get emotionally upset by this he acknowledges why i am upset. So i really can't imagine it is deliberate. What do you think?? Everyone who knows him says he is a lovely person, but they all say how quiet he is... How is your hubby with friends/family/work xx

• Hiya Rosemary. I'm not sure what i've done with the reply to the discussions sorry Undecided I hope this is the right one to speak to you on. If not just let me know, i'm not usually this daft (honest)I think i've just got excited with having some like minded people to finally speak to...ha ha

Yes i have wondered why his behaviour can improve when needed to. But i know from experience this can happen but isn't maintained. It's not in a vindictive kind of way but almost like it disappears out of his brain and the things that improved and he promised to work on and does do for a while just seem to go. It sounds like your counselling is going well though, i'm really pleased for you. It certainly sounds like the Aspergers is hereditary, from your hubby to your lovely little boy. My hubby's dad is exactly the same as he is, but much worse. When his parents found out his mum looked into it and couldn't believe that it was his dad. Everything fell into place for her too.

We were pointed to Aspergers being the possible diagnosis by a new friend (whose husband has been diagnosed with it officially). We then went to his GP with details etc of symptoms/behaviours etc and she asked us to leave it will her while she contacted the relevant health professionals (experts) A few weeks later she rang us & told us that although she cannot give the official diagnosis it more than likely is Aspergers. I can't imagine it being anything else. My hubby is a really lovely, kind person. He knows he upsets me & drives me crazy at times and although he doesn't get emotionally upset by this he acknowledges why i am upset. So i really can't imagine it is deliberate. What do you think?? Everyone who knows him says he is a lovely person, but they all say how quiet he is... How is your hubby with friends/family/work xx

Children
No Data