Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Optomistic - great to see you over here and look forward to chatting.

Puffin - It comes across as exquisite selfishness, doesn't it? Which is most unfortunate as it is so destructive to relationships. I understand the scenario completely - I recall being very unwell with a tummy bug on the day my partner should have gone to a 50th birthday party of one of his uni friends. This meant that we could not go, as our son was a baby at the time. My partner went into a complete strop! I felt so awful - not only did I feel dreadful because of the D&Vs, but I felt gulity for being ill AND sorry for myself for not having any sympathy! But this is a minor instance - there are some much MUCH worse ones!

I am completely gutted that I've only just realised [through the counselling] that my partner has language and communication problems. I could have been saved years of pain and heartache Cry if only I had known.

More later, haven't eaten yet! Love Rosemary xx

• Optomistic - great to see you over here and look forward to chatting.

Puffin - It comes across as exquisite selfishness, doesn't it? Which is most unfortunate as it is so destructive to relationships. I understand the scenario completely - I recall being very unwell with a tummy bug on the day my partner should have gone to a 50th birthday party of one of his uni friends. This meant that we could not go, as our son was a baby at the time. My partner went into a complete strop! I felt so awful - not only did I feel dreadful because of the D&Vs, but I felt gulity for being ill AND sorry for myself for not having any sympathy! But this is a minor instance - there are some much MUCH worse ones!

I am completely gutted that I've only just realised [through the counselling] that my partner has language and communication problems. I could have been saved years of pain and heartache Cry if only I had known.

More later, haven't eaten yet! Love Rosemary xx

Children
No Data